both shy, trouble with compliments.

We're both a bit shy really. We've been going out a few weeks now - but when I'm with her it takes me ages to work up the courage to give her a compliment (You're beautiful or something) and that means that when I do it sounds so insincere. (even though it is sincere).

Furthermore, the way she reacts puzzles me too. Like she covers her face or something and says, "oh will you stop" almost in a defensive manner - and I'm not sure if she is just embarrassed in a flattered kind of way, or if she is genuinely uncomfortable...

I don't want to push it too much because as someone else pointed out, I don't want to seem too full-on. But I still want her to know how attracted to her I am.

One of the best times to compliment her is when you first see her "Wow, you look great" say it with a big smile and then carry on as if you said nothing out of the ordinary. Don't wait for a response but carry on talking about something else.

It may sound crazy, but you might have to do a "drive by" compliment. Saying "good morning you look nice today" as your walking past her desk is one way to compliment her without having to work up a lot of courage, it may also ease her tension by not having to face you after the compliment is given. She can just smile to her self.

practice. Walk around when home with a list of compliments you have specificly written down for her and recite them out loud. Use different tones, different emphasis on the words, pract ice practice practice... and you will get over the self conscious part of it by hearing yourself reciting these compliments to the thin air in you privacy.

• 2 weeks later...