he hit on my best friend & i still love him

my x, whom i love,& my bff started talking on the phone @ my house. my x had been asking me out all summer & i was planning on saying yes finally. my x asked my bff if she would ever have sex with him & he told her that he liked her. since i care about these 2 people more than any1, i put aside my feelings about this & gave my best friend the blessing 2 ask this guy out. he ended up saying no 2 her cuz he said he didnt know her good enough. after that i was even more confused, but not mad. i called this guy tonight. i didnt mention the sex part but i did ask about liking my friend. he said he didnt know what he was thinking when he talked to her, that im the only one for him, that he loves me, that he made a promise not to hurt me like all the other guys & he really wants to keep it & that he was really sorry. he also said that he totally trusts me now (i think because of what i was willing to do) & he has everything worked out now. i could tell from his voice that he wasn't lying. i know every1 who answers this will prolly tell me to get the hell away from this guy, but, to quote a song "if u could only see the way he loves me, maybe you would understand, why i feel this way about our love & i what i must do..."

opinions /thoughts?