Hi everyone. Im a 19 year old female and I have been a cashier at a grocery store for a year now. Unfortunately I am getting very burned out with my job. Ive been calling off a lot lately and dreading going to work, even after a weeks vacation. Theyre not terrible to work for, theyre pretty flexible with stuff. They are willing to work around my school schedule, and thats my biggest obligation to stay. Other than that, I have no desire to be there at all. Should I stay just for the fact they will work around my schedule this fall, or start looking for a new job anyway?

There's nothing wrong with exploring your options. Hand out a few resumes and see what else is out there for you.

Retail positions really drain me as well, as the public tends to do that. Regardless of if you are a cashier or in sales, etc. dealing with the public all day can be exhausting and mentally draining. Have you ever applied for entry level administrative work? There are plenty of offices that hire part-time. Not only is this experience very valuable, but it's also less stressful than working with the public.

Hi there and welcome!

I also agree, there is nothing wrong with exploring your options and feeling your oats so to speak. You are young and this is the time to really get out there and explore.

You are not obligated to anyone, only to yourself. I know how you feel because you do not want to disappoint anyone. I feel the same way. But people resign from jobs all the time. Employers realize that. Everyone is replaceable.

I have to agree. Retail is very draining because the public can really eat at you. I worked in the restaurant business for 10 years and boy, was I wiped! definitely look for entry level postions and get your resume out there. Good luck.

Entry level postions are usually geared torwards those whom are just out of school or to those with no prior experience in that job area. Once you get into those kinds of postions, you get the experience you need and are able to move up the "food chain" so to speak and are eligable for higher paying positions.

i understand what you are goin through, i currently am in a retail job i hate. but i have to stay until the end of the year because 1st of all i got fired from my previous job and 2nd im going to take time off to study soon. But i guess it all comes down to you, do you hate it enough to leave i mean at the end of the day no one can force you to do anything you dont want to, so if you think you cant put up with it then go. Especially in retail positions come and go quickly so dont worry about your work and when you start looking for a new job try do something you know youd enjoy. your University should have a listings of jobs avaliable which can be scheduled around you