Possible a friend is pregnant - likelihood?

A good friend of mine confessed to me earlier that she could well be pregnant after a condom splitting incident a short while ago. She's fifteen, I believe her steady is 16, and she's not on the pill.

She is waiting for her period to come before she gets a test, which should be along anyday now, but can you tell me what the realistic chances are? I should imagine they're quite high, but I'm un-educated as far as girl-anatomy girls in that respect! Not to mention single

I am concerned for her, and I hope posting this doesn't count as betraying her confidence... I don't think it should.

Thanks for reading

It's impossible to give you percentages I'm afraid. It all depends on timing of her last period. Regularity of periods. How much sperm leaked. And so on.

But yes, young women are notoriously fertile. I'd say her chances are significant. She'll have to take a test to find out.

If a condom splits during intercourse and there is any kind of ejaculate - including "pre-cum" - from the guy, then there is a chance, yes.

Women can get pregnant at any point in their cycle, although some times are more fertile than others.

So, assuming she was in a fairly fertile phase, and the guy had produced some semen which leaked from the split condom..I don't know.. 40% chance? Scratch that, you really can't throw out numbers like that..but there's definitely a chance, and if her period is late, I'd say it's a pretty good bet she is pregnant.

Keep us posted.

I don't think the chance is very big, but it's a chance. She should consult her own doctor though, and no one here can say she is pregnant or not. She might consider taking the pill, condoms are the best precaution against STI's but the worst to prevent pregnancy. I always go double, condoms and either the pill I took for years, or the Mirena I have now. That way, there is very VERY little chance of STI's or unwanted pregnancy.

Your friend should really be careful if she is just using condoms. Is she in a relationship, or was she just having a good time with someone she isn't committed to? I understand your worry and she should be happy with such a concerned friend. Just stand by her side. As a girl I can tell you that having to take a test can be stressful. If anything, being scared of being pregnant can even cause a delay in one's period to come. If she is late, this doesn't necessarily mean she is pregnant.

Ilse

Thank you all, each and every one. Ilse, she was just using condom's, but luckily she's been with this fellow for a long time, and from my experience of them both they're a responsible pair. Sadly I don't live anywhere near her, so I can only offer far off support....

Thank you all!

As Avman said, it is impossible to give a percentage. All I can say that anytime you have sex, with or without birth control, there is a chance. There are ways to minimize the chance, but you cannot ever remove it completely, and if you are not minimizing the risk, or something happens to reduce the effectiveness of the method, the chance increases.

She should wait until she misses a period before testing though, for it to be most effective. And stress can cause a period to delay too, so if she misses period, and tests negative, she should go see her doctor for a blood test as well just to verify her results. And to perhaps discuss some backup birth control to use along with the condoms.