Any great ideas?

I need a GREAT idea for a first date. I mean, is it possible to make it like really really really but seriously incredibly romantic? I need suggestions. Just please tell me what a great idea for a first date would be in like your urban/suburban scenario. So no beaches during sunset and stuff... I just wanna know what a good idea would be... Cause, I mean: Movies? nah. Just coffee? Nah... Unless there is a way to make those more romantic... Well, thanks and best wishes.

*Ahem*

Just coffee? Nah...

Yeah...

some scene place where all the scene kids hang out.

And if you're even remotely implying I am scene, well, ok, I better just avoid confrontation seeing there is a huge post by one of the moderator/administrators dealing with FLAMING and how we'd be removed from the forum permanently.

Um the point of a first date is not to be romantic. Its to get to know the person. Being too romantic too soon either attracts girls who need that ie you will have to constantly keep it up to keep her happy, or if she is more independent minded you will send here running ie you are too clingy and needy. Coffe or a drink is a good idea. Simple and cheap and somewhere you can talk and get to know her and see if she is the type of girl YOU would like to be romantic with.

Um the point of a first date is not to be romantic. Its to get to know the person. Being too romantic too soon either attracts girls who need that ie you will have to constantly keep it up to keep her happy, or if she is more independent minded you will send here running ie you are too clingy and needy. Coffe or a drink is a good idea. Simple and cheap and somewhere you can talk and get to know her and see if she is the type of girl YOU would like to be romantic with.

Now that's what I'm talking about... Ok, I get it now. Thank you and best wishes then.

lol I'm kidding dude, but poetry is romantic anyway. Isn't there a cafe in your town that has poetry recitals and smash poetry, with coffee and scones and all that crap. What tyler said.

That could actually work yeah... I'm not that good with poetry, though, lol. I'd have to practice or something before then, or pre-plan something, lol. There might be one of those in town, though. Thank you, that's so much better.

Um the point of a first date is not to be romantic. Its to get to know the person

Oh, and the reason I wanted it to be romantic was because I wanted to take this girl to prom, but I didn't count on tickets being so complicated to come by... So yeah, I never got the chance to buy the tickets, cause you had to go to the notary and stuff and a bunch of things you had to do... I thought I could just buy them and that's it... So I kinda think that asking her out to get some coffee wouldn't sound as important as asking her out to prom... But it's ok. I mean, if it's not meant to be romantic, then it's not meant to be romantic.

Oh, and the reason I wanted it to be romantic was because I wanted to take this girl to prom, but I didn't count on tickets being so complicated to come by... So yeah, I never got the chance to buy the tickets, cause you had to go to the notary and stuff and a bunch of things you had to do... I thought I could just buy them and that's it... So I kinda think that asking her out to get some coffee wouldn't sound as important as asking her out to prom... But it's ok. I mean, if it's not meant to be romantic, then it's not meant to be romantic.

Well nothing can replace the prom. Anyways the prom is a ritual, something that doesnt really change, its a rite of passage. Taking her to a fancy restaurant etc cant replace this. These are two totally different situations. Taking her out somewhere expensive and super romantic will just tell her you will spend lots of money on her. While a prom might be romantic its more about the ritual.

I was in your situation last year. OK, first prom is overrated. Second, don't let prom rush you too fast because prom is overrated.

*~~-Story time!-~~*

Month before prom.

I liked the girl. I went up to her door with flowers in hand and asked her to go to prom with me. I got a little hug and yes. During the month, I tried to advance our togetherness, by:

Taking her out ice cream

Taking her to get her nails done

Taking her to live shows

Going to the mall

The county fair was in town, and I wanted to take her there, but she didn't want to go with me. Later she got a boyfriend a week before prom(SERIOUSLY should've let her go from here). I was pissed, but I still paid for everything already. I paid for everything period. The annoyance wasn't worth the money at all.

Now prom, it was ok, the dinner was 50 dollars, and she didn't really like dancing with me much because she wasn't the touchy feely type of person.

I still liked her. That summer we hung out a lot, and she used me a lot. 2 months ago, I told her how I felt about her. She didn't really say anything, so I forgot about her.

BUT she keeps IMing me. So one day she IMs me that shes depressed. I tell her, you miss someone. She says yes, and I tell her to not go emo on me. And then I signed off.

*~~-END-~~*

Lessons you can learn from me.

1) Like Tyler said, don't go romantic at first. Learn about the girl first. She could turn out to be a little immature high school kid like this one.

2) Don't pay too much. I spent maybe like 200 bucks on her. And depending on y'alls status when you get the ticket, either buy if y'all are getting closer, or don't buy the tickets for her if y'all are just friends.

3) If shes a friend after prom, DITCH HER ASAP.

Well I will add to this. How much you spend is irrellevant IF and this is the IF you are happy to go with her as a friend and nothing more. The prom is a time of mistaken logic. The prom can have romance at it, but romance does not make the prom. The prom is not about romance ideally it would have romance but then wouldnt everything be ideal with romance. The prom will occur without romance because it is not contingent on this. I find many people gettting all hopped up on goofballs about proms and making them to be more than what they are: A RITE OF PASSAGE. Sure romance may happen easier at the prom, but never make the prom the source of your romance. This is why many people go to the prom as friends and only friends, h*** even bothers and sisters go together.

This is why replacing the Prom with romance will not work. If you want to make it clear you are interested inmore than friendship do it from the beginning. Ask her on a DATE and say the word DATE and take her somewhere you can get to know her first before investing any more time.

I dont know how she feels about you not getting tickets but I would be cautious on this one. Good luck.

Well, I dunno. From what I know about this girl, she's like uber smart... I mean, I am a smart kid, and many people have told me, but she's like... DAMN! Feel me? I feel like I am special olympics material compared to her... Which I think is one of the things I find the most attractive on her... Now, I can't say that makes her mature, because I am certainly not THAT mature either... I love to goof off whenever I get the chance... But I do take these things seriously, which I wish I dind't because it'd be so much easier... So yeah. Anyway I can't go to prom cause the last chance to get tickets was today. But anyway, it would've been still risky then... But yeah, I guess I prefer the regular date idea better then.

A first date at a cafe can be romantic and sweet, it doesn't need to be over the top and no need to spend a lot of money.

Myself, I remember little gestures. You say she is smart - don't underplay your own intelligence or compensate. I'm sure she likes you for who you are and won't be taking IQ scores

The most important thing on a first date is to give attention and be completely present. Don't let your eyes wander. Be natural. Remember you are there to get to know her, and everything will be fine.

A first date at a cafe can be romantic and sweet, it doesn't need to be over the top and no need to spend a lot of money.

Myself, I remember little gestures. You say she is smart - don't underplay your own intelligence or compensate. I'm sure she likes you for who you are and won't be taking IQ scores

The most important thing on a first date is to give attention and be completely present. Don't let your eyes wander. Be natural. Remember you are there to get to know her, and everything will be fine.

I get this... But what would you say makes it more romantic to you?

Well, one first date I went on automatically pops to mind. It was romantic, but very natural. We just went out to a little restaurant to eat, and then went for a coffee afterwards.

What made it romantic was the feeling I got off him. We just both really dug each other. He remembered that I liked veggie-curry: and picked a spot where there was some killer curry. That was sweet. There were hot women all around: yet his eyes stayed on me, and he made it clear with his body that he was paying attention to me.

You don't want to overdo it on a first date, but little signs of affection are good. Like, maybe leaning in towards her. Just to make it clear that it is not two friends hanging out: but you are interested.

Go with the flow. But first you need to ask her out!

p.s. Yes, prom is over-rated and I took a male friend. No pressure, tonnes of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I didn't go to prom because the girl I asked out already had a date (I'm actually thankfull she said no, because I couldn't get a ticket anyway xD) and yeah, it turned out to be kinda late for me to get a ticket... But man, I feel sad, because damn I look good in a tux... There won't be many other chances when I'll go to a dance, an "important dance", wearing a tux to a place where all the people are my age and well, they go to my school and stuff... It would've been a good chance to meet other girls, because I heard lots of people (both guys and girls) went without dates... So yeah...