Novaseeker,

"16 years here as well ... my boyfriend is 21 and I am 37."

I need some advice and i notice we have something in common.There is a guy at my job who is 20 years old.I'm 36 years old.I'm wonder should i ask him out?Is 20/21 years old too young.

I

Novaseeker,

"16 years here as well ... my boyfriend is 21 and I am 37."

I need some advice and i notice we have something in common.There is a guy at my job who is 20 years old.I'm 36 years old.I'm wonder should i ask him out?Is 20/21 years old too young.

I

Hi there --

It's very dependent on who he is and who you are.

How mature is he for a 20 year old? What does he do with his time? What are his interests? And are they compatible with your life situation, interests and goals?

My relationship went alright for a time, and eventually got derailed because he was mentally ill, among other things. The age gap wasn't a very big issue because he was a mature 21 and I was a youngish 37 at the time, and we did have quite a bit in common so it didn't seem awkward at all. It -was- awkward around friends, because our groups of friends are of different ages and they of course don't have the connection to either of us, so that's where the gap became more noticeable. But it's a situation that is very dependent on the maturity level of the people involved and how compatible they are.

Yes i know 20/21 years old is young but this guy is cute(My opinion).I'm not looking for marriage.I just want to have a good time with a man on a regular basis.

The turth is i never had a boyfriend in my life and i never been out on one date ever.I might be 36 years old but I'm at a teenage level when it comes to dating and having a boyfriend.So this guy might be more mature then me when it comes to dating.

I'm going to ask him out and let him decided if i'm too old for him.I don't want to have any regrets.

My brother is going to turn 20 years old this year and he's picky but mature for his age.Thanks ladies for the advice

he's a baby... leave him alone

Hmm, are we on an age gap relationship support board or not?

Seems strange that people would automatically denounce a 21/36 union.

At 21, this guy is old enough to vote and to die for his country, yet he's not old enough to make up his own mind about who he wants to date? Puh-leeze.

I do agree with novaseeker though that this is very dependent on the 21-year-old in question. Is he mature for his age and are you guys compatiable intellectually? If not, after the initial sizzle wears out, you might find him a very boring date!

I don't think the age gap bugs me. I'm 23 (24 in 2 weeks) and my bf is 39 so i'd be one to talk. I started talking to my bf when I was around 20 years old and he was surprised at my level of maturity. I've been told for several years now that I'm mature for my age ;-)

But anyway, the fact that they work together is what bugs me. I think if i was at work and someone who was in the 30s kinda mentioned they were interested me, I'd feel flattered, but uncomfortable because I have to work with them. There's also policies against work romances.

I wouldn't ask the guy out just because of the work situation, but that's me.

I don't have a problem with his age.I'm worred about co-worker reaction.Will we have problems at work?

20 is legal in all of the states, far as I know. I don't think legality is the issue here.

He's obviously not too young by any legal standards so the only moral standards you really have to worry about are your own.

Do YOU have a problem with his age?

I don't have a problem with his age.I'm worred about co-worker reaction.Will we have problems at work?

You may have people look at comment and so forth, both for normal reasons (people incessantly gossip about office romances) and because of the age gap taboo. Age gap relationships are taboo for many people, so if you do move forward you will have to be able to deal with a certain amount of non-acceptance from people as par for the course.