why is she doing this?

So, I've had this acquaintence for a while. She's actually a friend, platonic. However, recently, she always brings out her concerns about rumours about us dating, or that she's uncomfortable with how well I know her and how well she knows me. I tell her I want to meet her where she's at, and she wants to keep hanging out. Lately she's said she feels too dependent upon me. However, she's brought this up 4 times in the last 6 weeks! What is she doing, and how should I respond? I'm usually pretty cool about this stuff, but this is one too many conversations of this type!

I think she just wants to stay friends with you and she's worried about what other people might think. Not like she's ashamed of you or something just that you're really good friends and she doesn't want other people to think that theres something else going on when it's a really innocent friendship.

• 3 weeks later...

She actually apologized last week and gave me some explanations. She grew up moving around a lot and has issues with close relationships--male or female. If her dad wasn't a good friend of mine, I might have just cut it all off. However, her having said that, I've got a mission now--to help her overcome this fear of close relationships. However, she got weird again yesterday when she told me she had a dream about me buying her some gifts that a husband would buy a wife and didn't know what to do with that. I told her it was only a dream and not to worry--I couldn't afford that stuff right now anyway