I've worked in retail since I was 15. I hate working the tills. With a passion. And I haven't had to work a till in about 3 or 4 years.

Look for jobs that have a clear separations of job specifications. Some places JUST have Sales Associates, so you'll get stuck on till every so often. Unless you're good, then you'll be stuck forever. Look for jobs that are looking for sales people, warehousing, consultant, etc etc. I worked at one place as a bridal registry consultant. Never had to touch a till unless it was for my own customer. Now I work in sales where I am trained in the products in my department and I have been in only one department for a year and a half. I ring through my own customers, but I am not stuck behind a till.

Or your other option is go to an interview and when they ask about what type of job you are interested in, tell them what you want, make it a point to say you don't want to run a register, you want to try something else. If they can't appreciate that, move right along to the next job.

Good luck!