Body-For-Life

Has anyone on this site done the body-for-life program..? I'm busy reading the book and it seems pretty interesting.

Went to the body-for-life forum the other day and the people seem so supplement obsessed. When I think about how much money these people are spending on supplements I get totally put off the program.

For me one of the more appealing aspects of bodybuilding is taking control of ones body. When you're spending so much money on supplements it seems more like your body is controlling your mind and common sense...

Dunno maybe its just South Africans who feel the need to use every new supplement on the market when it comes to working out. Is there anyone else on the site that prefers to work-out without swallowing a million pills each day..?

I have a friend who does it and it made some AMAZING changes. Go read this thread (with all 794 replies!):

link removed

Look for Streetman, he is the guy. I am pretty sure he posted before and after pictures.

Personally, I was looking at the plan link removed sells, which is based off of the Body for Life book (and site) but is designed for hard-gainers like myself.

I find the use of suppliments over-doing it, but if you really want to get ripped they will be necessary. Personally, I think a nice healthy and natural build is all you need.

I did BFL and I lost 30 pounds doing it and brought my bodyfat percentage down to 16%.. I'm currently 125lbs in the best shape of my life and a heck of a lot stronger. I did three 12 week BFL challanges to get there. Still kept all the weight off today. It's a lot of HARD work with the weight training- the diet is strict- but very balanced, healthy, and do-able.

I still follow the BFL eating plan currently- but I did change some of the workouts this year because my body got too used to them after a while- so I had to shock my system so I could keep burning fat.

Also, if you want abs you'll need to add more ab training to the BFL program. Iused to add in this 3 times a week after my BFL cardio. The BFL program just doesn't do enough for abs. It will flatten your stomach- but if you want definition you'll need to do more.

When I first started the BFL program- it was not as focused on supplements. It's all a bunch of crap....what they're trying to market now. Bill Phillips recently sold out and jumped on the supplement bandwagon. My advice would be - buy the original Body For Life Book- (I got mine on e-bay for 8 bucks) Follow that book and ignore all the new BS on the website about supplements. In my opinion they're really over-doing it- especially since when I first did BFL they weren't pushing those supplements, yet now they are. They just want your $$$$.

Natural Whole foods are the best for you- don't buy the BFL shakes and bars- (those are brand new and weren't even out when I did BFL) they will set back your progress. They're filled with preservatives. The ONLY supplement I used while on BFL was chocolate whey protein shakes- because I simply was not eating enough protein- so I substituted the whey shake when I didn't have time to eat poutry, cottage cheese, egg whites, etc. But real food is the way to go. Whey protein is great for weight training. I never touched creatine or any of the other stuff.

It's a sound program. If you ever have any questions,feel free to PM me.Since I followed BFL for so long- my brain is a computer for knowing which foods are "legal" on the program- etc...

BellaDonna

• Like 1

I personally have not done the BFL program, though know some whom have.

I think that for some it works because it gives them the structure and motivation/support group they personally need. All that information in the BFL program is already out there, it just takes some legwork to find, rather then it being all in one area.

I think it's also the support that people like in it, just like with any other program, motivation for many comes from others, like those discussion boards.

Some also just need a strict plan laid out for them: do this today, this tomorrow...many have a hard time developing and sticking to their own routine.

Personally, I am dedicated to my own fitness and health not just because I am competitive, but because I have seen numerous benefits, and for me it's also about my long term health and cutting down some risks. I am able to work out up to twice a day (running, cycling, weight training, yoga/core) and eat well 95% of the time. I don't use supplements, other then multivitamins and whey protein shakes for recovery and muscle building fuel post-workout. I eat healthy, limit processed junk. I find whey protein for me pretty necessary as for females it can be harder to build muscle in the first place, and get enough protein in my daily diet for the extra requirements. For me it's just something I incorporated into my lifestyle, so that it's not a question of whether or not to do it, it's automatic and self-rewarding. I look, and feel awesome. It was not hard for me to get into as I have ALWAYS been rather athletic, but for many whom start the BFL, they are starting with NOTHING, so it helps to have a guideline.

From what I have seen, these are all things the ORIGINAL BFL program also expressed (though they probably don't advise as much cardio as I do...but I am an athlete so can't fit into that, and for me it's also about minimizing health risks that run in my family..and I am a cardio junkie!) but that for many won't be able to follow unless there is a set plan and schedule to follow.

I think you will find most forums geared to a certain program, or sport, will have their "obsessed" sections (I belong to some of them ) but it is not reflective of the entire group.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys!

Looks like I'm gonna go the body-for-life route, my training partner is a bit depressed cos he's not seeing results on our current routine.

He's 32 whereas I'm 25 so I guess it makes it a bit easier for me to see results earlier...

I think we were lacking the cardio aspect, I've definitely gotten bigger the last two months on my current routine but I'd like to lose a bit of fat now (not that there's much). Previously we were only doing 5 minutes cardio a day, basically warm-up which is obviously one of the reasons why he's not seeing results

my current routine consists of (reps are 12,8,6):

Day 1: chest and triceps

chest

1. dumbell bench press

2. incline dumbell flys

3. cable crossovers

4. pec deck

triceps

1. close grip pulldowns

2. dumbbell extensions

Day 2 back and biceps

back

1. one arm dumbell rows

2. wide grip pulldowns

3. close grip pulldowns

4. dumbbell pullovers

5. pull ups

biceps

1. hammer curls

2. alternate bicep curls(seated)

3. cable curls

Day 3 shoulders and calves

shoulders

1. dumbbell shoulder press

2. side raises

3. front raises

4. bent over raises

5. shoulder shrugs

calves

1. seated calve raises

2. standing calve raises

3. one leg calve raises

Day 4 quads, hamstring's and abs

quads

1. leg press

2. leg ext

3. barbell squats

hamstrings

1. dumbell lunges

2. lying leg extensions

3. straight legged deadlifts

abs

1. normal crunches 15 reps per set

2. twist crunches

Yeah, 5 minutes of cardio is definitely NOT enough. That is not even enough for a warm up.

I would advise at LEAST 20 minutes 3-4 times a week. Do some interval work in there too on at least one session to increase the fat burning. Remember it's also for your HEART and helps to supply some blood to those muscles. It's good for you, really!

If you do too much, it can affect your bulk gains, though not necessarily your strength and endurance gains if you approach it correctly. Personally for me right now I am in "winter mode" so I do about 6.5 hours of cycling and 4 hours of running a week.....so definitely limits my "bulk" but I want strength and tone, not bulk, so that's okay with me!

Yeah, 5 minutes of cardio is definitely NOT enough. That is not even enough for a warm up.

I would advise at LEAST 20 minutes 3-4 times a week. Do some interval work in there too on at least one session to increase the fat burning. Remember it's also for your HEART and helps to supply some blood to those muscles. It's good for you, really!

If you do too much, it can affect your bulk gains, though not necessarily your strength and endurance gains if you approach it correctly. Personally for me right now I am in "winter mode" so I do about 6.5 hours of cycling and 4 hours of running a week.....so definitely limits my "bulk" but I want strength and tone, not bulk, so that's okay with me!

My word dunno how you do so much cardio! Did 20 minutes cycling earlier, really missed the pumped up feeling you get after doing weights...

If you are going to do BFL- I strongly suggest that you get the book. It spells it all out in detail, so that you will know exactly what to do for diet and workouts.

Aside from the eating plan- the exercise portion of BFL includes 3 days of intense cardio/high interval training and the other 3 days are weight training- alternating between upper and lower body. On the 7th day- you rest.

For example here's 2 weeks:

Day 1

Cardio ( you can add "ab boot camp" to cardio days if you want ab definition)

Day 2

Upper Body- chest, biceps, triceps, back, shoulders

Day 3 Cardio

Day 4: Lower Body: Quads, hamstrings, calves, abs

Day 5 Cardio

Day 6 Upper Body- chest, biceps, triceps, back, shoulders

Day 7 Rest

Day 8 Cardio

Day 9 Lower Body- Quads, hamstrings, calves, abs

Day 10 Cardio

Day 11 Upper Body- chest, biceps, triceps, back, shoulders

Day 12 Cardio

Day 13: Lower Body- Quads, hamstrings, calves, abs

Day 14 Rest

On the weigt training days choose 2 different exercises for each muscle group. Increase weight and intensity until you bring the muscle group to failure (i.e. you can't go on anymore). Sets would be 12,10,8,6,12,12 The first 5 sets (12, 10, 8, 6, 12) should be for the first exercise for that muscle group , the last set of 12 should be a totally different 2nd exercise for that muscle group. The weight training routines in the progam take 40-50 minutes.

If you buy the book it will go into this whole process in much more detail. Again, the book is preferable to the website because the website has been polluted with supplement propaganda.

BellaDonna

Got the book over the weekend as a gift from a friend...

Must say the prospect of doing my entire upper body in one night is rather daunting, especially considering the sets are 12,10,8,6,12,12 pretty scary stuff... Then again as the old saying goes no pain no gain

My word dunno how you do so much cardio! Did 20 minutes cycling earlier, really missed the pumped up feeling you get after doing weights...

Ah, well, that is what intervals are for. Running may give you more of a endorphin boost too, since it is easier to "slack off" cycling then it is running.

I find most people whom cycle at the gym for cardio set it really easy, and so don't really elevate their heart rate much. I would set it for a hill program or speed workout.

Yeah, I do a fair bit...and that is after I learned to cut it down! It's mostly so much as I compete too, and it's also my stress release. I love a great run to clear my head, or a day on the trails is just such a blast for me. I also do weight training too and yoga though for variety and overall fitness. For me it's weight training I need to "convince" myself to do as I find it rather...dull....though the benefits rock!

Must say the prospect of doing my entire upper body in one night is rather daunting, especially considering the sets are 12,10,8,6,12,12 pretty scary stuff... Then again as the old saying goes no pain no gain

It is a lot of work- but it does pay off. I hate upper body days the most (as a woman I especially hate them). You will be SORE the next day- and feel as if your muscles have been put through a meat grinder. But I have to admit, since I followed this exercise sequence I'm very happy with my upper body results. No flab arms...and tons of strength

BellaDonna

It is a lot of work- but it does pay off. I hate upper body days the most (as a woman I especially hate them). You will be SORE the next day- and feel as if your muscles have been put through a meat grinder. But I have to admit, since I followed this exercise sequence I'm very happy with my upper body results. No flab arms...and tons of strength

BellaDonna

I LOVE chest & back days....HATE arms and shoulders days Legs are meh, I get so much leg work with cycling and running, so generally I don't look forward to more leg work.

But as Bella says, the payoffs are so awesome.

I don't know how the BFL program does it, but I cycle my training..do a bulking/strength phase, followed by an endurance phase. So, in the former, will do a month or two lifting heavier, with shorter reps...maybe 6-10 reps in 3 sets. Then I will do an endurance phase, doing 12-15 reps of 3-4 sets with a lighter weight. Repeat!

Make sure to mix the exercises up too whenever you switch up again to keep your muscles working and adapting to new things.

Well did my first body-for-life upper body workout... Almost died!

Had the weights all wrong, with all those sets I definitely cant go as heavy as I used to... Gonna have to rethink my weights.

Did you start off with a lighter weight for the first set of 12, and gradually increase the weight for each set, then bring it back down again...as noted in the book?

For example this is how I do biceps on BFL during the upper body day:

Biceps

Bicep Curls

12- 8 lb. dumbells

10- 10 lb. dumbells

8- 12 lb. dumbells

6- 15 lb. dumbells (this should be your MAX weight here)

12- ( bring it back down to 10 or 12 lb. dumbells depending on what I can handle)

Hammer Curl

12 (10 or 12 pound lb. dumbell)

You're also supposed to rest for 1 minute in between each set.

BellaDonna

P.S. (Don't laugh at my wimpy weight limits....

Did you start off with a lighter weight for the first set of 12, and gradually increase the weight for each set, then bring it back down again...as noted in the book?

For example this is how I do biceps on BFL during the upper body day:

Biceps

Bicep Curls

12- 8 lb. dumbells

10- 10 lb. dumbells

8- 12 lb. dumbells

6- 15 lb. dumbells (this should be your MAX weight here)

12- ( bring it back down to 10 or 12 lb. dumbells depending on what I can handle)

Hammer Curl

12 (10 or 12 pound lb. dumbell)

You're also supposed to rest for 1 minute in between each set.

BellaDonna

P.S. (Don't laugh at my wimpy weight limits....

I think I messed up in my lack of planning... My gym is too busy for me to use the free weights section, I should have tried to avoid free weights at all cost.

Got messed up with the dumbbells thought I'd take it easy my first night (yeah right) so for dumbbell bench press i did the following (big mistake).

12 - 22 lb.

10 - 24 lb.

8 -26 lb.

6 - 40 lb. (no lighter weights available)

12 - 44 lb. (no lighter weights available)

Most of my evening went like this, it hurt like hell (im not a very big guy as it is, i weigh like 165 lb.)

I think I messed up in my lack of planning... My gym is too busy for me to use the free weights section, I should have tried to avoid free weights at all cost.

Got messed up with the dumbbells thought I'd take it easy my first night (yeah right) so for dumbbell bench press i did the following (big mistake).

12 - 22 lb.

10 - 24 lb.

8 -26 lb.

6 - 40 lb. (no lighter weights available)

12 - 44 lb. (no lighter weights available)

Most of my evening went like this, it hurt like hell (im not a very big guy as it is, i weigh like 165 lb.)

You were ok until you got to the rep of 6- that was a very sharp increase from 26 pounds to 40 pounds. And after the rep of 6 you should have lowered the weight down again or your next rep of 12. Be careful, you could hurt yourself. You want to feel "the burn" and your muscles should be slightly sore later- but you don't want to strain too much and get hurt.

I can see how it might be troublesome at the gym with the free weights. When I began BFL I purchased free weights, a universal-type gym machine for my home and a treadmill. It was expensive but I caught a good sale, and it saved me on gym memberships in the long run. If you have the space for that stuff at home- it really helps. At the very least, it's a good idea to get some free weights for home- they are not too expensive and it you can even use them for your lower body too: squats, dead lifts, etc.

With time, you'll get the hang of it.

BellaDonna