cutting...

If you want motivation to stop cutting, think about all the people that would be proud of you if you could beat this. It's an addiction that can be kicked. I basically have. Sometimes I feel like doing it but I just think about the people that would be disappointed in me if I did it again and that stops me. Then I call someone who cares and that will listen to me when I need someone to talk to.

Find someone like that blink182rocks988 and it will make stopping all worth it.

Sappho...

Do whatever works for you. If having other people proud of you for doing it motivates you, then I say go for it. If doing it for yourself is what you want, then thats fantastic.

If you feel like you are not ready to stop, then you probably aren't. You may not have figured out other coping mechanisms yet so I can imagine giving up the cutting might even be a little frightening.

You might want to read the image removed website for some more information. They have lots of information on self-injury, ways to stop if you are ready, other techniques to cope with stressful situations, and so on.

And of course there are all of us here to help as well.

i know what you mean by its hard to find a motivation to stop cutting. i sliced myself up because i felt no one cared if i did or didnt, in fact, i pretty much feel that way still. but you can find motivation in little things. for instance, i have a dog who has been with me for her entire life. shes about twelve now so ive been with her for a long time too. as bizarre as this sounds, i think about how if she were human how she would worry about me. my dog is probably one of the very few creatures that truelly understands me. its her devoted love that makes me think twice about picking up the razor.

what im saying is that something as odd as an animal can help you stop. but you have to want to stop. if your not ready to stop then dont force yourself, because you dont want to make yourself feel bad because your having a hard time stopping.

something that helps me is writing. i bought a journal and i write furiously when im upset. i let my handwriting get all crazy and messy. it gives me something to look back on, and then i can tell if what im upset about is logical or if its just me overreacting.

i hope that helps

blink -- listen, you can cut away if you feel like it. It's no big thing, as long as you don't cut a major artery. But you know, anyone at all can cut themselves up. It may gross a few people out when they first see it but you get used to it.

I used to cut myself up. I used to drink till I was almost not breathing. Anything was okay because I was out on my own kind of and away from home, just around other people my age and in a foreign country to boot. Sure, I did it because there were problems in my life but I don't think I was hurting at that point. It was because I wasn't even feeling anymore and the cutting was the only thing that made me feel alive. Being smashed was the only way I could even bring myself to be interested enough in the outside world to want to talk to someone. Or because others were drunk, they'd talk to me. But I remember the main reason I did it was because it shocked people. I knew they didn't care about me but they were more moved by something I did. I did it as a kind of ridicule.

blink, you've got to stop hitting your head against the wall with your family. I know it's hard because these are the people you think are supposed to love and care about you, but listen, it doesn't always work that way. Get over it.

Get out and find people who DO care AND who CAN and WILL express that for you. We can do that for you somewhat but you need more than a cyber friend. You need real bodies, real voices. It doesn't have to be people. Animals really care too. I would suggest your get your butt out and do some volunteer work, animal shelters, old people's homes. There are some really sad and lonely beings out there and they NEED you, they will CARE so much for you you won't want to leave them alone. You gotta get out and see that there's so much more out there. Ok?

The people in your life now are making you feel worthless and so you're going, "okay, I'm worthless... let me show you just how worthless..." DON'T buy in to their bs. They are messed up. Break out of the trap. It's tough when you're still so young, but there are escape methods so you can maintain or regain a sense of self-worth. Try that for me, will ya?

I have to admit I didn't read this really thoroughly, I just skimmed. But, it doesn't sound like your friend doesn't care, they might be acting like it, but it doesn't sound like they don't care at all. I know when I was younger, my friends knew what I was doing, but never mentioned anything to me because they were afraid to. When I came outright and told them that I wanted to stop and I was trying, they never said anything when they saw cuts. They didn't try to smother me, and it wasn't because they weren't worried or didn't care, because they were and they did, but it was because they didn't want it to seem like they were going to be the self-injury police. They let me take things at my own pace, and still to this day will listen. I know that if I ever started to cut again, they would be just as supportive, and probably wouldn't say anything again out of fear of offending me or smothering me with help.

As for what other people are saying, it does sound like your main motivation to stop hurting yourself is other people.. if it's other people it won't last. Use other people to help you stop, but don't start trying to stop unless its just for you.

I'm sorry to hear about your family situation though, I hope it gets better.

blink -- I'm so glad to hear that! You will love it. I used to walk animals all the time. Took a couple home with me too. If a shelter doesn't take you because you're too young, keep looking, or better yet, start up a little business walking dogs for people. Or you could keep it volunteer by helping old folks walk their dogs. You could start that now. It would be less painful perhaps too than working in a shelter...good luck and write me anytime!