People don't belive we can be Just Friends.

Hello. I have a problem that's really worrying me.

I've known my best friend since we were 14 (7 years) and we have been through a lot since then, know each other very well and love each other an awful lot (although not romanticly). The problem is that since we became adults people are constantly teasing and criticising us about our friendship. people in our circle of friends and family think were having a sexual relationship and are lying about it or they think we SHOULD be, or that one or both of us must be gay, which is not true. We just dont have that kind of relationship, I cant explain why. I understand that people might make the mistake of thinking we are together (I have made similar mistakes myself) That doesn't bother me. What upsets us both is that people are saying its not right and that were kidding ourselves, that we're immature for not taking it further ect... We've both had relationships with other people and our friendship wasn't a problem for them, so why is it such an issue for our other friends and family? I feel like my friend is beginning to find it really annoying and I feel a bit like I'm causing resentment between him and other people, just by being around. On the other hand I know he'd never say it . I don't want to have to cool off a good friendship just because of what people think, i'd really hate that, but I cant stand the criticism anymore. I know this sounds like I'm just being touchy , but its constant and really annoying What can I say in defence?

I actually can relate alot to your problem. When reading this post, I actually questioned whether or not I wrote this post and forgot about it lol. Anyway, the non-romantic yet loving relationship you have with your friend is a wonderful thing. It is something that should remain as a constant happiness in your life. Regarding your problem, I'm not sure if the criticism will just stop on a dime. I think people will always make assumptions, many of which being false. I have learned to ignore the childish teasing. The reason these people bother you about it is because they have no idea what it is like to have a strong connection with the opposite sex that isn't tied to romance. Be thankful for having found this special friend and live life not by others' rules but rather on your own accord. "To each his own."

Let me tell you that there is nothing better than being good friends with someone of the opposite sex. I had two female roommates in college and loved them. I was a lot closer to one, but we have remained friends to this day and although we barely talk, she is the one I can trust and confide in the most. She is now married with two kids and we still talk every once in a while. I don't get why people would criticize. They either think you are the perfect couple or are jealous. Forget about what they think. Who is more important, your bestfriend or these other people?

cya,

ocrob