looking for a new way to cope

i have never done this before but i really hope someone can help me. i am a self harmer and have been for about four years, but just lately i have been cutting deeper nd really meaning to seriously hurt myself, i told my doctor but he just put me on a higher dose of medication, my family, bless them, have been really great but none of them do it so how can they understand i want to try and find another way to cope but i dont know how i tried doing a college course but it just got too much and i couldnt cope with the pressure what else can i do!!!!!!!!!

this sounds pathetic but cross stitching stopped my m8 from being sucidal she use to take overdoses and now when she gets scared or upset she goes to her bedroom and stitches and ive tried it and its so addictive and peaceful it really takes your mind off everything.

You need to let your doctor know that the medication isn't helping. Did your doctor recommend a counselor at all? When I was on medication, I was told that treatment is most effective with medication and counseling.

I found a good way for me to cope was to talk walks at night and get some fresh air. I got out of the stressful environment, I was able to physically walk out my aggression, and I got exercise, which is supposed to be very effective at getting rid of stress. If you like running, I think that is an even better option. My father bought a punching bag, and it is another great way to relieve stress.

Cross-stitching and sewing is a great idea too! Very addictive, nice suggestion Lil R.

im currently trying a few methods with my therapists, i used to cut myself almost everyday about 200-400 times. However now i tend to manage for a few weeks, and even when i do cut it tends to be less than 100 and they arent as big as they used to be.

ive found the best ways to help me were to write music, poems, songs and to draw when i started to feel like i might resort to cutting. now i can often control the urge before it gets to great just by doing something simple and by keeping occupied. if you can work out how you feel before you resort to cutting you will hopefully be able to recognise the feeling before it gets too great and then hopefully be able to stop yourself from doing it. another method i tried was too punch my pillows and hit them with drumsticks or a ruler, this meant i got to do harmful things but to an inanimate object and not to myself.

just keep with it and focus on wanting to stop!!! your doing better than i managed to do on my own!!!!