Can taking a step down damage one's career?

Hey all. I am a college graduate, and I eventually plan on going back to school to get my Master's. I am hoping to go back to school in Fall of 2006. My undergrad degree is in Religious Studies, and my 10-year goal is to become a professor at a university.

I returned from a year abroad in mid-September of this year. I spent the year teaching English to children and adults in Japan. It was a great job, but I decided it wasn't such a good fit for me, so I left at the end of my contract.

Now I am back and trying to find a job. As many of you are aware, this is proving to be a very difficult process. I have been unemployed for close to 2 months now. Had a couple of interviews, but no offers yet. The holiday season is coming up, and while I do have a fair amount of money saved up, I am unsure as to how long I will be unemployed, so I am a bit nervous about spending it. Many stores are beginning their hiring for seasonal jobs. I have picked up a few applications in hopes that I can get something to get me through the holiday season, in case none of my current prospects work out.

However, I have heard horror stories about graduates who worked retail jobs because the job market was so bad, only to find out that at a later date, prospective employers ruled out that cadidate because he or she was not working in his/her field. I am worried that if I take one of these seasonal jobs, it will damage my future career. My plan is to continue looking even if I have a seasonal job because I need a career that will sustain me in the long-term. I do not wish to remain in retail or sales for the long term.

I am also preparing the documents needed to obtain a substitute teaching certificate for my state. If I have a steady job, the substitute thing would be hard to do as you need to be able to go on a moment's notice. Teaching sounds a lot more appealing to me, but at the same time, I need a steady income. It is a bit of a problem.

This whole job search is very exhausting and frustrating. Have any of you experienced a situation like this? Am I better off just remaining unemployed or will future employers not be concerned with the fact that I took a retail job for a while? I appreciate any feedback.

I am no expert in this but I dont think that a temporary job will be a problem for your future dream of being a professor. As long as you get your desired degree and your past experience is relevant. Professors will always be in demand. I say get a temp. job for now until a good opportunity comes your way. Retail is not something people usually commit themselves to, so I am sure future employers will be understanding. You can also look into a temporary job that will be in the teaching field. Maybe at a high school or middle school. So that at least you stay in the same field.

I also shouldn't think that it would affect anything with your eventual career outcome. It's only temporary if you took a job in retailing until a vacant position comes available too you in your desired field. I would have thought it would have made some impression in having other experiences.

They can't expect you too remain unemployed due to stories of other's misfortune, it will be good experience in work with others and developing communication i would have thought and if money is tight then i would take the job.

- whitefang

I shouldnt worry, i wouldnt have thought it would affect future interviews either, having done something is better than nothing at all. I would have thought employers today would rather have someone who's had at least some experience in something other than their chosen field than someone who has had nothing.