is it the right time?

My girlfriends birthday is this week. We've been together for almost 10 months. At first i thought i'd just get her something nice but not a huge gift because she didn't get me something big for my birthday. So i asked her sister for advice. She said my girlfriend has mentioned wanting a ring from me for her birthday. I'm guessing this would be a promise ring, but i'm not sure. I wasn't ready to give her one but then i realized i am. We're in love and we want to get marrried in the future. But i don't know if her birthday would be a good occasion to give her a ring. Would it? Our anniversary is in about 2 months, and that would be a great occasion. But part of me doesn't know if i should wait, and i also know she might want it for her birthday. So i don't know what to do. Also, we've been fighting pretty often lately and thats making me re-think it at the moment. Anyway, what do you think? Thanks.

If you are not sure about the relationship don't give her a ring. But bear in mind that almost certainly her sister will have told her about your conversation so she will probably be hoping, or even expecting, a ring.

Time for some decision making. Before you do, sort out whatever is causing the arguments.