perplexing behaviour

hi this is probably the most perplexed i have ever been over another human beings behaviour. im a student nurse and on a placement 2 months ago i met a doctor who pursued me. i started feeling an attraction for him and accepted a date. we had a good time and he told me a lot about his background and how he was trying to release an album as music was evrything to him and he wanted to do it all his life. he seemed very into me and i felt i could relate to him and trust him.

in a few weeks time he told me he loved me and we slept together for the first time after that. but he has changed so much. he doesnt respond to my calls. he doesnt keep to his promises of calling me and he has even stood me up on dates sometimes with no explanation at all apart form saying 'i wasnt in the right frame of mind'. yet when i tell him maybe i should move out of his life he tells me he loves me and doesnt want to lose me and that he is going away for a week to clear his head so he doesnt behave like this for the rest of his life. he said he will call me when he gets back. he hasnt told me where he is going and i have decided not to contact him anymore. I dont feel this is normal behaviour at all and am totally baffled. if he doesnt want me in his life why doesnt he tell me upfront. and if he does want me then why is he treating me like a piece of dirt.

if he doesnt want me in his life why doesnt he tell me upfront. and if he does want me then why is he treating me like a piece of dirt.

Sounds like he wants you on a part-time basis when it's convenient for him. You have to decide if that works for you. If that's not enough (which I suspect it isn't), then you might need to move on.