Mixed Martial Arts

Just curious anyone fight MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) such as UFC? I've been watching some DVD's and lookin at sites, those guys go through intense training. I dont think i could do it just because i dont think i could go into a ring and think about coming out with a broken nose or something, but i bet it would be a rush. Also im in good shape and enjoy working out but i would like to have a better weight to mucle ratio like some of those guys. So just curious anyone watch it or participate in it?

I like watching UFC and Pride Fighting. Pride has a lot better competitors than UFC. One of my all time favorite fighters is Ken Shamrock, even though he's pretty washed up now and is not much of a contender.

My brother is into kickboxing, and has also practiced some submission training. I went to one of his kickboxing practices and it was very intense. Their cardio training is absolutely insane, which explains why all kickboxers have six-packs. Anyhow, MMA is a very competitive sport and fun to watch. At this point though, the fighters are very underpaid especially the UFC ones.

I used to train MMA in a school on the east coast. The main instructor had built himself a stable of guys he'd been training since 12-13. Of the three main guys, they were all superior technicians--the best was an animal in the cage, but he got in a bad car accident, messed up his neck, couldn't risk anymore contact sports, the second guy was an amazing technician, but he just wasn't aggressive enough in fights, had a so-so record, the third guy just got busy with life.

i myself never competed, but the school's training was great and difficult (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Pencak Silat, Jeet Kune Do). And you most times go home with a broken nose, fat lip, sprained wrist, stiff knee/ankle, major rugburns. You're right, tho, it is a major rush. Especially if you dedicate yourself for a good amount of time, say 2-3 years.

Currently I'm trying to get back into Escrima (Filipino Stickfighting art), I've found an instructor in L.A. that teaches along the lines of what I want to learn. Unfortunately, I'm going on vacation 4 out of the next 6 weekends (he only teaches weekends), so I'll be missing out quite a bit for the first stretch of his newest class.

Anyway... If you're into that stuff--go find a school that trains what you like, check it out, and maybe join and train! Only one way to know if you're cut out for this kinda stuff

Best of luck!

I'm not entirely sure what you mean but the style I take combines kickboxing, Judo, Kung Fu, Tae kwon Do, aikido,weapons, all that good stuff. Although we've had quite a few injuries, I don't think it's quite as intense as what you described. We have men and women of all ages too, not just a few bulky men.

But I think it's good to try out each style, if that's what you're asking. And if you find just one style you prefer you could switch over that. The great thing about my style is that you can become faster, lose weight, gain muscle, and become flexible, since there are so many different styles.

I don't think it's a good idea for you to try something so dangerous. Sure it's an amazing high- but is it worth it? Keep in mind that you probably aren't going to be able to bash heads in on the first day. It takes a lot of hard work. Maybe I'm just getting the wrong idea, but that UFC stuff sounds stupid- there are so many styles where you are actually able to use your head. What's the point of injuring people on purpose? Entertainment? That's not what MA is about.

I dont know any places around here except karate but i dont know about that. Thatd be an a great bragging sport some girl comes up to you and asks about your black eye or something be like "Yeah some guy snuck a punch in then i put him in the Arm Bar and made him TAPOUT. " (ArmBar is submission move i told you ive been watching UFC lol) Plus you would be in great shape and women like men that are in shape.

I dont know any places around here except karate but i dont know about that. Thatd be an a great bragging sport some girl comes up to you and asks about your black eye or something be like "Yeah some guy snuck a punch in then i put him in the Arm Bar and made him TAPOUT. " (ArmBar is submission move i told you ive been watching UFC lol) Plus you would be in great shape and women like men that are in shape.

I'm confused, did you just give yourself advice?????

• 2 weeks later...

I do. I train at a Straight Blast Gym affiliate. It's a lot of fun. You don't go in for a scrap though, you train to learn technique. We do stand-up and submission/ground-fighting. It's hard work, and mainly I don't mention it to women as they get the wrong idea and think I'm 'violent'.