I'm about to move out but my budget makes me scared. Can you help me?

I've seen an identical unit in video. Their 1-bedrooms all have identical layouts so I have a good idea.

But surely I have to buy a bed, desk and chair at least for that first day, right? I need somewhere to sleep and I'll have work the next morning.ย ๐Ÿ˜„ย I think I can also ask her the measurements for the closet where the W/D go so I can set that up, but if that's still a bad idea, I hold off until the week I'm actually moving in.

But, yeah, I'll sleep at home probably that first day or two days that week and just come over to stock up bathroom, etc.

You need dimensions, though. Things on camera or online almost never look they way they truly are. Especially since they love to use camera angles and filters to make things look bigger, newer and brighter.

Would they refuse you if you ask to see a unit in person? If so, that would make me wonder why.

2 hours ago, Needinghelp101 said:

I've seen an identical unit in video. Their 1-bedrooms all have identical layouts so I have a good idea.

But surely I have to buy a bed, desk and chair at least for that first day, right? I need somewhere to sleep and I'll have work the next morning.ย ๐Ÿ˜„ย I think I can also ask her the measurements for the closet where the W/D go so I can set that up, but if that's still a bad idea, I hold off until the week I'm actually moving in.

But, yeah, I'll sleep at home probably that first day or two days that week and just come over to stock up bathroom, etc.

Iโ€™d buy nothing for first day. Sleep in a sleeping bag or blankets on the floor. Iโ€™ve done that while traveling. No biggie. Go get takeout or bring non perishables - a boxed milk that doesnโ€™t need refrigeration and some cereal etc

5 minutes ago, Needinghelp101 said:

No, they wouldn't refuse. I saw a 2-bedroom they had open some time ago, looked good. It wasn't a furnished model either, it was one someone had recently moved out of. But of course, that's a 2-bedroom. I won't see my actual unit until Sep 23rd.

Ok, so ask to see a unit with an identical floor plan to the one you're to be leasing. You can get a really good idea of how much to buy, what dimensions you need to keep in mind when buying, how you want the layout to be, where the electrical outlets and cable TV and internet connections are, etc. Also you need to know if you should buy a gas or an electric clothes dryer. And if you need a shower curtain rod and curtain or if there's sliding doors and if you'll need to buy a caddy. And small things like shelf paper or a toilet paper holder or a silverware organizer. Is it all carpet, all tile or hardwood or a mix of both? That will determine if you'll need a vacuum or just floor cleaners.

I like to make lists, so a walk through of an identical unit is very helpful.

11 hours ago, Needinghelp101 said:

I need somewhere to sleep and I'll have work the next morning.ย ๐Ÿ˜„ย I think I can also ask her the measurements for the closet where the W/D go so I can set that up,ย .

You'll need appropriate installation regarding venting and draining.ย  A w/d is not a just a piece of furniture.

Do they actually have w/d hookups and are they allowed? Read the fine print before you go on shopping sprees for furniture and appliances.

You'll need internet/cable if you work from home. You're getting way ahead of yourself.ย 

9 hours ago, Needinghelp101 said:

Why won't your parents let you take some of your own furniture with you? Don't sign anything until you see the actual place and understand fully what you're getting into. Video tours are advertising, not accurate depictions of the place you are paying for. How do you know the appliances are functional for example or what the water pressure is and so on? You seem overanxious to sign the lease, but you need to be more discerning. Once you sign you're stuck in a legal contract you're financially responsible for.

Just buy a bed and kitchen and bathroom necessities.ย  One time I moved into an apartment and I just used my beach chair in the living room for a couple days.ย  I put my tv on top of a moving box.

Another time I bought a home full of furniture.ย  I stayed in my original home and came to the new one for the scheduled deliveries.ย  Even though I had access to the condo and carefully measured everything out, I regretted having purchased the living furniture prior.ย  You don't really know the orientation and the flow of the room until you've at least spent a little time there.ย 

The scale of my coffee table was too big and the sofa and loveseat were never a good fit. Every wall has either a door, sliding patio door, window or fireplace.ย  ย I had to live with the furniture for years before I bought something new that actually fit as it should.ย  At one point I had my sons move the loveseat to the upstairs bedroom.ย  But I wouldn't have known that without having lived here first.

• Like 2

I've actually decided against certain apartments when I saw the layout wouldn't work for me.ย  For example, I saw what appeared to be a perfect unit the other day.ย  Then I saw there was a built-in that was supposed to house the TV, but it was built back in the day where the biggest TVs were like 30".ย  Mine is 50", so that wouldn't work.ย  Also viewed another unit that only had two electrical receptacles in the main room.ย  I work from home so no way would two have been enough.

I rented sight unseen a few years ago and deeply regretted it.ย  Never again.

I would insist they allow you to view an identical unit so you can take photos and get measurements and determine whether you need gas or electric appliances.ย  And ensure the number of outlets will accommodate working from home. (Remember, daisy chaining extension cords or plugging too many items into power strips can cause fires!ย  Outlets don't have unlimited power capacity.)

19 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I would insist they allow you to view an identical unit so you can take photos and get measurements and determine whether you need gas or electric appliances.ย  And ensure the number of outlets will accommodate working from home. (Remember, daisy chaining extension cords or plugging too many items into power strips can cause fires!ย  Outlets don't have unlimited power capacity.)

I haven't been in this market for quite some time and I get it can be difficult to rent.ย  But at the same time, I can't fathom signing a one year lease for a place that I can't see beforehand. Something just doesn't seem right here.

Don't worry, guys. I'm not signing the lease until I see the unit in person. And if I end up not liking it for whatever reason, I still get my deposit back, which is explicitly said in the application agreement I signed (different from lease). I'm not entering into any legal contract until I check my actual unit from top to bottom, taking copious pictures, checking every nook and cranny, checking appliances, etc.

The place does have W/D hookups. After measuring and whatnot, I know the hoses and other things I need to buy for those appliances, and the apartment specifically says they want their maintenance to hook up your machines themselves. (Which seems to be a running theme -- every place I've visited before say the same thing.)

The place comes with a fridge, stove, microwave, dishwasher, which are all electric. The only thing I would have to purchase is a W/D and furniture. The video was very thorough -- I could see there was an outlet on every single wall of the apartment. And even then, my WFH laptop is a small little thing that doesn't even need to be plugged up most of the time, and it's the only thing I use for my job.

I've been researching electric companies I can use (which needs to be set up before move-in, to begin on my move-in date), quotes from internet companies (to be chosen soon, also set up for my move in date), and I don't need cable. (I never watch TV, has been that day for many years now. All my entertainment is from my laptop.)

Even though the video was very thorough and showed me an identical unit, I will still ask to see one in person to get measurements. And even then, I'll hold off from buying furniture like a sofa (though I'll still need to buy a bed, desk, and chair -- I WFH and will still have work later that week) until I've really moved into my place and get a feel for what fits where.

• Like 3

Good plan. They have a choice of electric companies? It's good maintenance will hook up the W/D. less headaches (Tip: they will be your friends so tip them). The most important thing you can do is get some iced coffee and put it in the fridge for the first morning you wake up there.โ˜•๐Ÿ˜‚

• 2 weeks later...

So interestingly I applied for an apartment that's in the exact area I want to live in and it's a good price. But it's not available to view until Sept. 23rd. They said if I'm approved for the apartment and I want to hold it I would have to pay the full $1600 deposit. I told them there's no way I would even consider paying that much deposit on an apartment I can't even view.

So it seems that's becoming a thing.

Funny, when I rented in my previous city they only asked for a $200 deposit to hold a unit. $1600 is ludicrous.

Sounds like a good starting plan. Remember to be creative with spending, coupons, sales, thrift stores, ย garage sales, doing things for yourself where possible instead of paying for various services. Keep working hard as you move up financially, youโ€™ll do fine.ย 

• Like 1