Did you ever reconcile with an ex you never thought you would get back with?

Hydroappa

Hey there,

Just stumbled across this thread in one of my ENA binges (don't pretend you don't do it too...). While I don't personally have any experience with getting back together with an ex, the comments got me thinking about relationships and break-ups in general.

I think we have a tendency to view break-ups as a lost opportunity; as if relationships value only persists while they continue. However, in reality very little in our life is permanent and time alone is poor measure of worth. Friends, partners, even family, can come and go. Even one night in deep conversation with a stranger can be incredibly impactful on our lives. The end of a relationship does not erase its value as far as it was, and holding on or pushing to extend it as often as not clouds our vision of that value. I guess my point is to let go of the sense of loss, the nagging doubts of how you could have held on a little longer, the feverish desire to restart something that has finished. Really, as Batya pointed out, in those rare cases where its comes around again, you don't really get back together, but have a whole new relationship with its own intrinsic value, however long it is.

Anyway, maybe its the season making my introspective, maybe its just a desire to contribute here, but thats my 2 cents.

Merry Christmas and all the rest,

T

Archived