I am writing a resume and I have been looking at sample resumes on the net. Of all the sample resumes I've looked at none of them include a contact phone number or name of employers when they state their work experience.

So my question is do I have to include contact information of my previous employers on my resume? I was thinking once I get the interview and they ask for reference numbers then I would give it to them. On my resume right now (under the work experience section) it just says the names of the places where I worked, my job position, what city it was in and how long I worked there.

I usually put the contact information/references on another page separate from resume. At bottom of resume I will have a disclaimer that "References Available Upon Request". The only time I include them is if the ad or whatever specifically requested them upfront.

Generally references are only contacted after 1st or 2nd interviews anyway, and this way it maintains more privacy in my opinion.

The resume is like a snapshot of your life and work experience. Like the table of contents for a book and the letter is like an introductory sentence in an essay. You need to say just enough to make them want to learn more about you.

Normally you will fill in an application when you go for the interview, so bring the contact info with you, but only give it to them when they ask for it.

They use all this information to get an idea about you, then they bring you in to see if you fit the mold of what they are seeking.

My resume has exactly what Ray Kay said, a small note at the bottom that reads References Available upon Request and they are typed on a separate page. If I have an interview and things look promising I will offer my references.

The golden rule is to keep your resume under one page, you don't want to bore your potential employer to death or brag too much about your skills & abilities. Good luck!