How do you feel when a song plays that reminds you of ex?

For me personally, whenever I hear a song that reminds me of my ex, I leave the song on to play. Yes, it makes me sad, yes I think of the ex for the rest of the day and sometimes for days afterwards, but I've been noticing that the pain is less and less each time I face it head on.

I think if we turn our backs on experiencing our pain, we aren't truly dealing with it, we are shoving it under the carpet so to speak. That means that it is always there, in the back of our minds, nagging at us. Whereas if we face our pain, own it, deal with it as it comes, we slowly but surely are able to clean house.

At first, I usually drift into a good memory of him and me. Then once the song is finished, I may find myself remembering all the bad things that happened between us, and I'll feel a little blue for a while. I remember when my ex and I had just broken up I would listen to a song that reminded me of him and I'd just replay the scenario of us arguing or when he finally said it was over. I'd try to come up with so many things that I could have said that may have saved our relationship, but then I remind myself that what is done is done and there is nothing I can do to change it.

I would let the song play on and remember how i used to go crazy over my ex. But to me, it's just something that triggers the memory of an old friend now. I would feel sad but also know that i've grown and the experience will always be a part of me.