Mental Health & Breakups

kendallgetz

Hello all! This was my second serious relationship & I'm 21. My first relationship was three years and this last one was a year and a half. This second breakup has me DEVASTATED. For some background info, I was diagnosed with separation anxiety when I was 10 years old & recently have been struggling with anxiety and depression as well as a recent diagnosis of an autoimmune disease. I'm a senior in college and the past four years have been hell, I've been through a lot physically & emotionally.

So my most recent boyfriend and I met in college and dated for a year and a half (he broke up with me the day before that anniversary, ugh). I LOVED him, I loved him to the point I realized I never truly loved my first boyfriend (who had a drug problem & was very emotionally abusive). This guy really gave me hope for a better relationship & I was his first serious relationship, we were very close, he was honestly my best friend since I lost a lot of friends in college.

A few weeks before my ex and I broke up, I went off of my antidepressants because I am working on switching pills... let me just say that going off of Lexapro is so difficult and I had really bad side effects even with tapering off. I am planning to go back on Prozac but in the moment, I am not taking any antidepressants.

The past few months, I have noticed my ex pulling away from me and one day he told me he no longer loved me in the way that I loved him and it destroyed it. It's been a little over a month and I feel like I am crazy, I have such a hard time going to work and not having a mental breakdown. It's winter break so thankfully I don't have to deal with school but my anxiety and depression seems to be out of control. I am going to a therapist every week so that helps but I am still struggling, I feel this pain in my heart from him leaving me and it seems unbearable and impossible to deal with. I have had some very good days but today is not one of them.

I'm not even sure what I'm asking for by posting this, I guess just some encouragement. I know it will get better in time, I've been through this before but he was the love of my life and I feel so broken. I am really struggling with my mental health but I feel so out of control and it is hard to get through the day to day pain.

P.S. We talked once in person after the breakup but other than that I have had no contact with him and deleted him on all social media.

I know how you feel. I'm currently really struggling through a break up as well. I know time heals all and I need to take my own advice but I just keep trying to take things day by day. When it's hard to imagine it day by day I do hour by hour. I've had much worse break ups also but this one is really getting to me. Just try to take it day by day and focus on yourself

Archived