Are you supposed to stare back...

...if you see someone (a guy) checking you out?

Perhaps Silly/obvious question...I know, but I just wanted to hear other thoughts about it.

(I suppose the right response is to smile or something...)

The reason I try not to stare back (too much) b/c I don't want that person to think I have a staring problem and I don't want to make them uncomfortable, although they may be making me a tad uncomfortable b/c they are staring at me--kinda like a double standard I guess.

I notice that if I do stare back or just notice, they stop all together and perhaps seem a bit embarrassed. So basically the only point of checking someone out is to uh...check them out and then turn away as soon as they notice?

When to random people look each other in the eye, most of the time one or both of them look away within a couple seconds. If you're interested in someone, extend the eye contact past that point. This will tell them that it is more than just an everyday glance. Then you should smile to let them know you are interested.

Shy guys might find it embarrassing that you noticed them looking at you, but I think if you keep glancing they'll get the idea and you can go talk to them, etc.

Making eye contact with a guy is going to increase your chances of having him approach you, it's a greeting without saying anything, an invitation for him to approach if you smile back, your not only showing him that your friendly, your showing him that you have taken an interest in him checking you out, it's at that point (after you smile) an obligation on his part to make the approach, but it never hurts to have a women approach first.

Makes it easier for the guy, unless he can't articulate his thoughts quick enough and is left stuttering between his words.

hasn't happened to me, but iv 'e seen it happen.

What is the setting?

Usually in a big lecture class where you are on one side of the room and they are near the other side. Or just anywhere where there is a far distance between us (i.e., in the caf).

What if he looks away after you notice his checking you out and then he has a sheepish grin?

Is this a rhetorical question?

Well, for the most part, if Im checking someone out and I get caught, I usually look away (mostly down, I heard where someone looks afterwards tells alot about what was going on in their mind). Usually Im too embarrased to look back again at the guy if hes really cute. But if the guy looked at me first and he was cute then I'd hold a stare down.