Boyfriend identifies as female

Oh god I hope so. Because at the moment i cant help but think that im just going to destroy him, I dont want him to think that hes wrong or unwanted or anything like that. Because hes wonderful and I know that as friends we work oh so well, it just hurts that it doesnt work as anything more.

(please dont take me saying "he" as anything untoward or ignorant, its something he has always requested, he didnt want to be referred to as she)

It's so hard. But your straight. As odd as it is, you are confirming his gender identity. I've watched a lot of trans friends shift relationships when they transition. You can love him and be supportive and not have him be your sexual romantic partner. You have to take care of your own needs if you want to be available to support him.

What if you opened up your relationship - meaning you could introduce one or two people of whatever gender, a couple etc. to keep you both happy in different regards? The other solution is to stay friends with him only, in a way to go back to where you were before you became romantic. To me, the romance seems done and over with. What remains is how to deal with the separation (or not) of the non-romantic part of the relationship. It's a tough spot to be in but to ignore a problem usually can only last for so long. Why don't you both talk about it - I think you're both equally "guilty" in this - and equally right.

Archived