RedHotCar Posted June 1, 2017 Share Posted June 1, 2017 Feels like I’m at my wit’s end here, so I apologize in advance if I go off on some long tangent. Obviously this is about a girl, more specifically a coworker, who’s had me preforming mental calisthenics for the better part of a year now. More to the point, she comes across as outgoing, and has no problem carrying out amiable conversations and interactions on a regular basis… With the exception of myself, that is. As for us? Our interactions are few and far between, mostly due to circumstances at work, but still scarce none the less. When we do talk however there are key differences. She’ll come off as less forced, more thoughtful, and in some cases even timid. Oh and eye contact; Lots of it. On more than one occasion she’s given me this look as if I’m the only thing left on her plane of existence. Aside from that our conversations are usually playful and often laced with teasing. But as pleasantly enigmatic as our conversations and run-ins might be, that only describes like 10% of our relationship. The other 90% feels like her ignoring me with a few more eccentricities thrown into the mix. If she passes me, she’ll deliberately make an effort to look everywhere (even the back of her skull) but me. On the off chance that she does acknowledge me it’s usually some coy quip or an almost somber “Hi –“ as opposed to her usual jovial greeting with everyone else. Despite this it feels she’ll make an effort to walk past my station at least once a day to get to the breakroom even though I always rotate stations. I’ll also catch her looking in my direction at times, only to look away when I make eye contact. Sometimes she’ll make a show of ignoring me, like when she greeted a coworker who she has grievances with and not me, even though I was right next to him. On the other end of the spectrum she’s done a couple of blaringly obvious things to get my attention as well. She’s literally called out my name across the room to tell me something to the effect of “the sky is blue” before. And sometimes she’ll cut in on my conversations and shift the attention to either me (usually teasing) or herself. Oh and did I mention she likes to tease me? Openly? Under normal circumstances I’d take these as signs of interest, but a lot of the time she just seems so distant with no intention of closing the gap. For a while I thought it was just me overthinking and possibly projecting, but recently she offhandedly mentioned that I “confuse her” which means I’m not the only one being thrown for a loop. In her defense I can come off as tepid and aloof, and she’s left being the one to initiate 9 out of 10 times. In my defense I’m an idiot with a poor grasp on social etiquette. Link to comment
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.