How did you make it through the early years?

I was just wondering if there is anyone who has any helpful advise for a 19 year old. I have been living on my own since the day I graduated from highschool. I was in a constant struggle to pay bills all of the time and the pressure finally got to me. I had to move back home with my parents for awhile to get myself back together. I am also attending college an hour away from home. Is there anyone who could tell me if they found a balance and a way it worked out?

Struggling college student, had plenty of those as friends while in school. Best advice is to fight through it, find things in your life that you enjoy and concentrate on the positive. Your life probably isn't so bad compared to others (who can't afford college, involved into drugs, have health problems, etc). Appreciate what you have, and remember that lots of people live with their parents well into their 20's (Some even 30's--but we won't go there).

I have had some tough times as well, and had to move back in with my parents. A lot of people have had to do this to get by. You are lucky that your parents are willing to let you into their home again. I'd say take the support they are giving you as a chance to get ahead.... save some money, focus on your schoolwork... There is absolutely no shame in asking someone for a little help, luckily your parents are in the position to give it to you.

Some things I have done to help me through the tough times is to set up a plan. I usually have a short term and long(er) term plan in place. Short term maybe being to the end of the semester, or school year... using the time to focus on what is important right now. for example... i will save (this many) dollars by the end of the semester to add to my savings for (blank) The longer term plan maybe being five years from now. Where do you see yourself in five years? What kind of job, where are you living etc. Use this plan to help shape your short term plan.

By looking at things this way, it is easier to accept the fact that you needed help and moved home... you are setting yourself up to be ahead in life... not to be further behind.

Keep your head up... and reach for the best.