When is it appropriate to ask for a raise?

Maddyb12

I recently hit my two year mark at one of my jobs, I've received one raise about a year and a half ago because I received a promotion but it was a very small pay increase. I just hit my two year mark and at all my other places of employment I received a pay raise when I hit marks similar to that. I was wondering it would be appropriate to ask for a raise and if so how much. My performance is consistently praised and I have never receive any sort of write ups etc.

Any year without a raise is effectively a pay decrease due to inflation. I'm a contractor and we tend to have a bit more leverage than employees, so take into account your own individual circumstances, but I'd ask for a raise yearly. However, if you want a raise that goes beyond the 1% - 2% inflation rate, be prepared to propose and defend why you feel a raise is justified.

It really depends. Are you getting a market related salary at the moment? Are you performing a somewhat critical function in the company?

I'd say go for it and ask for a raise if you're underpaid.

If you are getting a market related salary then wait a bit more, focus on delivering more of that great quality work. Learn more about the business side of things and see where you can improve processes. Lastly, document everything in the next year, what you've tried to improve on in the company, where you've tried to take initiative. Use all of this in the next year or two to negotiate a better salary.

Next time your manager praises you for something you did really well. I don't mean pounce on him immediately, but ask to meet with him within a reasonable time and use that to launch the conversation. Thank you for the praise. Blah blah blah, so I have been working here for x time and have gotten a lot of praise for work done. I wonder if there is any room for a raise for me since I haven't had a raise for x time. Throw in something about rising costs of living, increased rent, need to meet your bills. Boo hoo story on that. Finish with can he suggest what your options are.

Whether they will or won't give you any kind of a raise really depends on the company finances, your position and the job market for that position. If the company is skidding by on a tight budget or are in the red.....don't hold your breath on a raise. You might have to give yourself a raise laterally...as in dusting off your resume and using your current position to get a better paying job elsewhere.

I recently hit my two year mark at one of my jobs, I've received one raise about a year and a half ago because I received a promotion but it was a very small pay increase. I just hit my two year mark and at all my other places of employment I received a pay raise when I hit marks similar to that. I was wondering it would be appropriate to ask for a raise and if so how much. My performance is consistently praised and I have never receive any sort of write ups etc.

Absolutely appropriate. As J.Man says, not having a raise in that amount of time is effectively a pay decrease due to inflation. Check out the Bureau of Labor statistics to determine an average rate for your field, experience, and geographic region. Then check out the consumer price index to determine inflation over the last few years. It varies. Don't lowball yourself.

Archived