Quiting My Job In Retail

Hi... I'm employed at an electornics store at night and on weekends.

I work in the morning @ an Insurance Co. and as soon as summer hits they are letting me work full time hours. So I won't need this night job anymore.

I'm thrilled but next week I have some plans and I got pounded with hours at the retail job. I'm never usually the one to let people down but what's happening is once in a life-time... my friends and ex-teammates are on a good run in post-season basketball and I must go... problem is I'm scheduled the night of their super-sectional game.

I'm not one to lie either, my manager is gone and no one will work for me. So I'm going to just come flat out to the Leader On Duty that I won't be there tuesday night and for them to do what they would like.

I have another job so I'm not worried about money or anything... I'm just

worried how bad this is going to look... I'm most likely going to get told to not come back... but 2 weeks is too long in this situation.

I've worked there 8 months and been 30 minutes early and left late all but 5 days... so I give alot but I know they aren't going to give back.

What's your input... I have another job already, I can afford everything I need without this second job, and this is a once in a life-time thing going on...

Should I just do what I have to do?

Thanks

-.ins

This is just me, but since this game is so important to you, and since it's better not to get fired from this job (even though you'll quit in a few months), I would do this: I would pay a co-worker an extra $30 or something to work your shift. It stinks, I know, but maybe this would be the best arrangement. You never know in the future if you might need a letter of recommendation from your former boss at the electronics store. It sounds like you have been a good worker otherwise, so I wouldn't mess up 8 months for one game. Good luck!

This is just me, but since this game is so important to you, and since it's better not to get fired from this job (even though you'll quit in a few months), I would do this: I would pay a co-worker an extra $30 or something to work your shift. It stinks, I know, but maybe this would be the best arrangement. You never know in the future if you might need a letter of recommendation from your former boss at the electronics store. It sounds like you have been a good worker otherwise, so I wouldn't mess up 8 months for one game. Good luck!
The people just simply don't want to work. money or not. believe me the money bribe is a great tool but they won't take it.

i've covered for numerous people when they didn't show up... rolled out of bed to answer the phone from them on many sunday mornings.

Going means alot to me, and my friends... I'm really still stuck on what to do. My mom says call in sick but everyone @ work will know where I'm at. I'm just going to tell the truth.

Yeah, if you didn't already tell people where you would be, I would call in sick. But, that's not really an option, since everyone would know you're lying.

Then, just tell the manager/person in charge. I mean, people get time off for other important events. This is something that is clearly important to you, not an everyday thing. And since you've been a good worker, and covered other people's shifts, maybe the manager will force someone to cover your shift.

And if they don't, like you said, you don't need the money that badly. If your coworkers are really like that, they won't cover you when you've covered them so many times, then they are jerks and you don't need to be around them anyways.

Good luck!

wellp, i go in to work in 1 hour. i'm pretty nervous about what the outcome is going to be. either way i'm walking out of there happy.

i'm not about to ditch my friends who i grew up and played with for 12 years. last night our coach came up to me and gave me a hand shake and told me he really appreciated me coming. i should be playing but due to my knee thats out of the question.

i feel like i really should be there so if they send me out the door for the last time that's fine, if they cooperate that's fine as well.

i'll post back

-.ins