Finding love in late 20s

keepingfaith45

I'm 31, just met my boyfriend last year at 30 and it's been an amazing 7.5 months. I think he is "it"

26 is not old by any stretch of the imagination. Looking back, I had a lot to learn about love and relationships at 26 and if I had met my current boyfriend then, I probably wouldn't appreciate him and what we have as I do now after all the other failed relationships and experiences.

Also when I was 26, most of my friends were still single, very few married. Even now, most of my friends are still in relationships or just got married. Most of my friends found their current partner in late 20s and early 30s. And many friends are still single at late 20s to 30.

By contrast, I know several people who got into relationships when they were in their early 20s (or even late teens), now either married or still in the same relationship, are not happy with the relationship or the relationship is dysfunctional, and they stay anyway because I guess it's been so long and their partner is all they know when it comes to relationships.

It's not a race to see who finds someone first, nor is it about having someone to spend a commercial holiday with. Work on yourself to be the best human and best partner you can be, and when you meet the right guy, you will be the right girl, and things fall into place.

26! Mon dieu!

I remember an old Beverly Hillbillies episode when Granny was saying that Ellie Mae was over the hill and out of luck because she wasn't married at whatever her fictional age was, which I think was supposed to be about 22.

Unless you are in Appalachia and have time-warped to 1935, you have a long, long way to go.

Silly remarks aside, I'm baffled about why you think being 26 makes you undesirable or some type of love failure. I think you'll find that your chances of the relationship being successful increase with age, at least to some degree (the latest research says that the judgment centers of the brain - the frontal lobes - don't fully develop until about age twenty-eight), and your personality will continue to mature and develop after that age.

Many companies aren't terribly excited about hiring people at age twenty-six because they tend to get dissatisfied and jump ship pretty often, just when the company has finished training them. With that in mind, why be in a rush to get in a relationship that you want to last a lifetime? If it happens now, fine, but if not, take your time. Find the right one whenever it happens.

Archived