i just had a panick attack what now?

hello everyone i just had a horrible panick attack and im wondering if there might be any damage to mind and body that i need to get checked out. iv never had one before and luckily my girl was there to help me out. but i dont know what signs i should be looking for of damage.

Hi,

I've had one of those before. You could have it checked out if it is happening regularly. In my case, I was under high stress when competing in my first tournament in Taekwon-Do. I'd never even fought anyone before and was rather brand new student. After the first (and now last) fight (first competitor) suddenly I started gasping for air and windpipe closed somewhat and I couldn't breathe. It was scary, but just a panic attack. At the next tournament I made sure it didn't happen and I did just fine. It's never happened since.

There is a panic disorder condition. But if you are doing this regularly, then go to a doctor and get advice. They'll advise you and there are things you can do. Deep breathing is one good thing. It could also be a chemical imbalance in your brain, so there's nothing wrong with you, just a biological thing which can be treated so you can have better quality of life if this were the case.

Okay? The last thing you need is to worry about it.

If you have any question and won't be at peace till you know, do go to a medical professional and gather advice. You can also do research on the internet.

11Flower

I suffered really bad panic attacks for a few years. It got so bad that I wouldn't go out to avoid any situation where it might happen. I questioned my sanity and would feel like I was going to die when I had one. They do put a great strain on the body and you can certainly feel like they have done damage - but the body is a remarkable thing and can cope.

I would go see a doctor because they can talk things through with you and suggest ways to deal with the attacks. I struggled for months to cope, lying to friends and family to cover up what was happening - the doctor put me straight as to what was going on and how to tackle it properly.

The big thing for me was to try breathing exercises. When an attack starts to happen, I would deliberately take very controlled, slow, deep breaths - in through the nose, hold, out through the mouth. Because this was something I could control, it had a psychological help for me - I could take over my breathing and start to calm my body down. It took practice, but it works very well indeed.

Take care of yourself and don't let the attacks control you. Most people suffer an attack at some time or another, and many suffer regular attacks for a prolonged period at some point in their lives.