Need help in working out

Hello guys.

I'm 25. Male. Not THAT fat per se. BUT, I would like to know as to how I should approach working out first.

As of this post (and writing), I have absolutely no idea how much I weigh.

But I would like help as to what I should do first. Lift weights THEN jog? Or jog before lifting weights?

My main focus is to remove my somewhat big (but not that big) stomach.

And have a slim type of body but with noticeable muscle cuts.

I have little to no experience in terms of both workouts, so any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

Is there any specific time as to how long I should jog and as to how many days I should do it? I mean, how many times a week, and until how many months and how many hours per run? I'm sorry if I have too many questions. And thanks for the quick response.

you ask away ... its quiet at this time of day , but when the crew all get on you will loads of great advice ....

they say every other day ...or 3 times a week to see results ... of course everything is dependant on your age and fitness level .. some people go out there hell for leather and bugger themselves up after a fortnight and get bored ...build it up and enjoy what you are doing ... mixed with a good healthy diet you will see the results .

30 minutes min is reccomended per session to get a result ...

so if you feel you can run for an hour that is fabulous ..this is an awesome full body workout .

as for how many months ...well dont set a time on this for now ..just class it as a new way of life instead of holding yourself to times and dates .

and make sure you do some stretching before and after .. if you are not sure how to stretch just tap it in google ..

i think it is essential that you also change your diet... no fast food, not much sugar. whole grain products, fresh vegetables, water...

personally i think a whole body workout is best... i used to go to a gym course where they were focusing on all muscles in the body and the trainer said it makes no sense to just train 1 specific body part, you need to work out your whole body. can you take any gym classes with a trainer? that way you have a shedule with specific dates you will work out

Go hang out on the forums on my link removed a million billion ideas there plus info plus calorie counting plus support.

Personally, I like using workout videos, Anything by Jillian Micheals, Turbofire, aerobics broadcasts from the 80s (thank you youtube).

It sounds like you want to tone up a bit? If so, I would perform cardio first then do strength training.

How much exercise background to you have? What types of activities do you like? When was the last time you did anything fitness related? Running/walking 3 days a week is a good place to start. Let me know some of your goals and I can help out as much as I can.

@everyone

Thank you for all your fast replies. Seems to me that the most recommended step that I should do first is to do cardio training. I'll start first thing tomorrow.

@Scoe141

IIRC, last time I lifted weights was last January of 2012. Only did it once (im ashamed) and never got to lift again. Last time I jogged was last March of 2014. Goal is to somewhat have defined muscle cuts not to the point where I'm all beast mode. Thin with detailed muscles is more like it and abs.

I feel weird detailing those things. LOL. But there.

I hope that I'm not being a bother or too much of a bother for you guys.

Don't feel weird about posting this! And you're not a bother at all!

Do you have access to a gym? Have you ever thought of Cross Fit? I hear amazing things about it. If not, there are exercises that you can do at home.

For running:

Three days a week is a good starting point. I don't know your fitness level, so I'm going to give you a general starting point. Let me know your thoughts and we can adjust.

Monday/Wednesday/Friday: Warmup with a slow jog for 5 minutes. Then run 2 min / walk 1 min. Do this for 1-2miles and then walk/slow jog for 5 minutes (as a cool down). The 5 minutes can be substituted with walking.

Tuesday and Saturday can be your strength days, unless of course you want to incorporate them into your running days. Let me know if you will be heading to a gym. Things to do at the house are planks, push ups, sit ups, dips (using a chair) and jump rope. (If you don't have any exercise equipment. )

Make sure you consult with your doctor before performing any strenuous activity.

In sum:

• Lets find out what days you can/want to work out.

• What type of exercise equipment you have access to.

• Will you be joining a gym.

• Do you have any other goals, besides getting ripped?

@everyone

Thank you for all your fast replies. Seems to me that the most recommended step that I should do first is to do cardio training. I'll start first thing tomorrow.

@Scoe141

IIRC, last time I lifted weights was last January of 2012. Only did it once (im ashamed) and never got to lift again. Last time I jogged was last March of 2014. Goal is to somewhat have defined muscle cuts not to the point where I'm all beast mode. Thin with detailed muscles is more like it and abs.

I feel weird detailing those things. LOL. But there.

I hope that I'm not being a bother or too much of a bother for you guys.

Cardio training first. Weights aren't necessary. Focus on large muscle groups.

I suggest a warm up that includes squats, and a cardio routine such as:

10 minutes cardio, then do a set of push ups, another 10 minutes, another set of push ups, another 10 minutes, final set of push ups.

Push ups can be substituted with burpees, windmills, mountain climbers...

the key right now is in your head:

Start a routine. Schedule it.

Always congratulate yourself on doing something

When you miss your routine, just pick it up at your next scheduled time

Totally agree with this routine, because it provides high intensity intervals, which is how change shape. I am an athlete; my shape remained the same of varying quality based on how much I lifted etc. When I switched to a routine like the one I wrote or like the one Scoe described, my whole shape changed for the better.

My routine worked for me when I accepted what I need (I need company) and built my routine around groups that fit my schedule.

I would advise you join a gym and get one of the instructors in there to come up with a workout program for you. I gained a bit of weight over the past few years, during the summer I did quite a bit of running etc but wasn't really noticing the weight coming off. In September I joined a gym, got a workout plan sorted which included resistance training and cardio and I can honestly say I've never been happier with my body than I am right now. Cardio wasn't enough, I needed to add weight training into my exercise regime to help loss the weight and tone up properly. Of course diet is incredibly important too. Ensure to eat within 30 minutes of finishing your workout and try to incorporate a lot of protein into your meal. There are great diet plans online that you can follow. I would say dont skimp on the weight training, it's a great help in speeding up your metabolism which is really one of the key factors in all of this because the more you exercise and use up energy the more food your body will need and crave. Make sure NOT to miss meals, dont starve yourself, just make sure you're making healthy choices! There's actually a lot of really delicious healthy stuff out there! Also allow yourself to have one cheat meal a week! The very best of luck, keep it up and i promise you all the hard work will be worth it, I've never felt so confident and have SO much more energy

Hey mate, let me clear some things for you before you get confused.

If you want to simply lose weight, all that matters is how many calories you consume and how many you burn on a daily basis.

If you want to tone your body, you have to do some resistance training, either bodyweight or lift weights, it depends on your goal.

For most people, hitting the gym 3-4 times a week and following a healthy nutrition is all it takes.

For losing weight and building some muscle i would suggest that you follow a high protein, low card,medium fat nutrition, i follow one myself and i love the results.

Cut out, sodas, candies, chips, unnecessary oil/ salt, milk ( in some cases ), cereals with sugars, pasta.

And go for greek yogurt, honey, nuts, lean meat ( pork / chicken / turkey / fish ), rice, potatoes, fruits, veggies, eggs, protein powder ( only supplement i would suggest ).

Try to eat 4-6 times a day, only meals with carbs will be pre and post workout, other meals will be protein + fats.

Drink as much water as you possibly can, i drink around 3,5 litters per day ( i weight 73kg ).

As far as working out is concerned, when you lift, try to lift as heavy as possible and dont exceed 12 rep range.

If you have any questions send me a pm.

Archived