New Friends and Calling Them

Here's the deal- I have a bit of trouble when it comes to new friends. Whenever I meet someone knew, and we become friends, I'm always nervous and hesitant to either call them or IM them on AIM. I always feel like I'll be bothering them and pestering them, ike they might have something more important to do and I'm disturbing them. It's not really like this with my other friends (I have two who I've known for years), but It's mainly with new friends. Or, I feel that they might think I'm all that great or cool, which I'm sure that's not the case. But still, I can't shake that feeling. Anyone else feel this way? And if so, how do you handle it? Thanks a bunch.

im not sure...I have felt this way before but i dont know I just dont care i guess...I take a chance saying hi and usually get replies but sometimes a person can be busy or just not want to ttalk to u at the moment.

I personally dont talk on aim that much at all because its so easy to mis interpreate someone or soemthing.

i know wat u mean thewickerman, sometimes you start to wonder 'do they want to talk to me?'. but u knw wat i have learnt? it doesnt matter. because there is no way to know unless u try. and if theyre busy, so what? it doesnt matter. shrug it off, and find something better to do.

take a chance, you have nothing to lose. only friendship to gain.

I have had this problem in the passed too. I have made the mistake of not calling most of the time and missing out on potential friendships, (I think anyway.) When I am online my away message is up 99% of the time because there are just so many idiots out there who want to either pick a fight or cyber, but that's off subject...

I would go ahead and call if I were you. If this person was nice enough to give you their number and/or screen name, then they must want you to call or IM them. Most people will probably tell you if you catch them at a bad time.

Good Luck,

Cynder

emotional - i agree with you

If i were you cynder, i would try not talking on the internet sending messages back and forth because when you do, the reader can understand it how they want, and not how you meant for them to. Ive been in a lot of fights with people before because of me or them misinterpreting (spell check) our chat wrong.

hey - i understand what you mean. How about just asking new friends what is the best way to reach them? They'll let you know what works for them. What i love about e-mail is that they can read it when they have time to - you're not interrupting anything. I usually only call people when it's about plans, or a short question. I really only have long conversations with old friends on the telephone.

emotional - i agree with you

If i were you cynder, i would try not talking on the internet sending messages back and forth because when you do, the reader can understand it how they want, and not how you meant for them to. Ive been in a lot of fights with people before because of me or them misinterpreting (spell check) our chat wrong.

The internet isn't really that big an issue with me. I talk to people I know in real life online, but that's about it. I guess I am a bit sqemish(sp?) about it because I have been a victim of harassment/cyberstalking. IT isn't really a problem with people misunderstanding what I say. When it comes to IMing I am just a magnet for trouble, lol.