Canceled interview, but can attend now. Try to reschedule or just let it go?

YabbaDabba

So, long story: I got called for an out-of-state interview. Actually, they e-mailed me, initially, but due to a problem with my e-mail account, I never got that first e-mail. The HR rep then called me a week later (last week), to see if I was planning to fly in for the interview.

Because of the timing, plane ticket prices were twice as much as usual, but I was still willing to try to make the interview, but after spending the weekend trying to work out how I could fly out, and back, and without missing a significant amount of work at my current job, well...it just didn't look like it was going to work. PLUS the fact that I'd already agreed to cover a fellow manager's vacation, which overlapped with the interview date/time.

So, I e-mailed the HR rep on Tuesday morning (they were closed Monday, due to the holiday) and explained that I hadn't received the earlier e-mail, and that timing made it impossible for me to attend the interview.

Now, however, the manager I was covering for decided to push her vacation back four days, so I, technically, CAN attend the interview. Part of me wants to e-mail the HR rep again, let her know that circumstances have changed on my end, and just lay it out there that, if they're still willing to interview, me I can be there.

It's VERY late notice on my part, though. The interview was set for mid-way through next week. I'm just frustrated that things panned out this way, and keep going over my shoulda/coulda/woulds. On top of that, I assume they've probably already filled my interview slot by this point. But, the other part of me is thinking, "It wouldn't hurt to just...ask." I mean, if I don't ask, then I definitely won't get an interview; so, if it's a 'no,' then, no harm, no foul.

I am concerned, however, about looking like a complete flake on their end (I mean, I missed the first e-mail about the interview, and now asking for a last-minute rescheduling??).

Anyway--I need opinions on this ASAP, as I need to contact the HR rep today if I'm going to go that route.

I'm guessing they didn't reschedule you for the first interview?

I get where you're coming from, worrying about looking like a flake, so if you decide to try and make it, I would phone the manager so she can hear your voice when you explain what happened. Sometimes we come off better on the phone than in an email.

I'm guessing they didn't reschedule you for the first interview?

I get where you're coming from, worrying about looking like a flake, so if you decide to try and make it, I would phone the manager so she can hear your voice when you explain what happened. Sometimes we come off better on the phone than in an email.

I agree. It doesn't hurt to try if you really want this job.

Archived