She is self conscious with me?

Juniper jump

A girl in work, I have known for ages.

She just seem self conscious when around me. I once gave her a compliment on how she looked, which she completely freaked out on!? But since then I've been noticing shes been wearing dark tops, the same as on the day I complimented her? Also we were standing talking about work, me, her and someone else, and she constantly touching her neck, folding her arms, like and barrier, putting her arm accross her chest and resting her hand on her shoulder (almost like another barrier) she's also when talking to me scratches her back too, she also sometimes puts her hands around her mouth. She will smile and laugh when I'm making a joke, I try to show that I'm 'no threat' and I do notice she does get better the more she is around me (but the next day it will be back to square one) she feels better, she compliments me on my work, I have seen her glance at me occasionally as soon as I look instantly averts her eyes/ head. Is she scared of me or something?

Maybe she's a bit insecure and doesn't know how to handle compliments. There are people like that. I used to be that way and it bothered me until I read somewhere that the best way to accept a compliment, even if you feel uncomfortable with it, is to simply say 'thank you'. It's simple but effective.

Her fidgeting (crossing/uncrossing her arms, scratching her back, etc.) shows that she's uncomfortable too. I think you are doing all you can do and getting over her insecurities is something she is going to have to work at.

The workplace compliments are a slippery slope. If you make her uncomfortable, which it sounds like, I would back off. It could be grounds for sexual harassment.

This is my problem I don't know how I can 'back off' we were literally talking about work with one other person. The only reason I complimented her is because she complimented me previously.

The barrier part makes me think that she's trying to say she's not interested in any flirtations.

However, the rest I do exactly the same to the guy at my work.He'll compliment me and I'll just look down a mumble a thanks cause I'm shy and nervous.

Why do you mumble, because your just shy or you like this particular guy?

Archived