not sure what to do

anxeo

So i'm at my wits end on how to properly discipline and correct my wifes dogs. This dog is a 13 year old mini pin that my wife has had since she was a teenager. She didn't know how to raise a dog properly so this dog grew up with very bad habits, is very antisocial and mean to humans and pets alike who aren't my wife. Already this dog has bitten me twice in the year and a half we have lived together. Ill admit that since i never owned a pet growing up i was very ignorant in how to properly discipline and correct the dogs actions at first but have since gotten better to a degree via trial and error as well as reading.

I know that yelling at the dog or punishment after they do something bad is near pointless because dogs dont process things like human and can't connect the reason of punishment to the reason why it's happening in the first place and corrective actions must be done at the exact moment the offense is committed, but is there any way at all corrective action that results in decreased behavior of the offense can be taken after an act is committed? this dog is very instinctive and half the time doesn't even let off warning signals like a growl to back off of her personal space like a dog normally would. just now i was petting her, she was quiet, not making a big deal about it and then bit me out of no where. i really dont know what to do. this dog is old and super stubborn with a chip on her shoulder. any help would be appreciated

That's all he knows. You should follow Cesar's Milan techniques. I've known people who have gotten advice from him personally and it works.

Buy his books or watch the tv show.

I'm sorry its not much help but your right dogs don't process things like humans. They will never connect punishment to actions. But all animals give off warning, we humans just don't always notice it or don't think it is a warning sign.

Read the book.

I remember seeing you post the same question 8 months ago.

I suggest the following:

1. You and your wife have a conversation about either keeping the dog or work on training. I will warn that Rehoming an older, aggressive dog may be difficult and a shelter may euthanize her because of her age and aggressive tendencies. Dog training must be consistent from both people for it to be effective. The dog needs to learn that you are in charge and it is YOUR home.

2. See a dog trainer AND animal behaviorist to evaluate the dog and give you strategies to curb the aggression.

It is very difficult to break a dog from aggression when she is as old as she is now. I would not fall back on YouTube videos... This problem requires a professional evaluation of the dog.

Archived