Long Distance Relationships

i just went through a long-distance breakup...what a mess!

communication is big. so is effort. so is not succumbing to feelings of loneliness or neglect, etc.

there are books out there that are probably helpful beforehand...

loving your long-distance relationship (author--stephen/steven blake)

and long distance relationships: the complete guide (not sure by whom).

good luck

long distance realtionsips are harder than regular ones. THe require trust, strong feelings toward each other and understanding. The only pro i figured out so far is when u see each other its pretty intense. The con's are there is alot of missing and waiting and wondering. if you wanna make them work you have to be a very strong ( emotionaly) type of person. When things get hard you have to be able to help the other person out.

Like the others said, they require a lot of trust and commitment. I think you can be any kind of person, but if you are a person who needs a lot of physical attention on a regular basis, it will be hard for you.

Pros - a strong relationship can develop, you have something to look forward to when one is going to visit the other, you get to know your personal style of handling relationships very well, and you can rack up some good milage points when traveling

Cons - it can be very difficult when you are in a trying time... you can't just go over to your significant other's house and get a hug, the holidays can also be tough if you can't see one another.

Just some background info on me: Our relationship started as an LDR and we were about 3 hours from each other. We saw each other once a month or so. Now we are a 13 hour flight from each other, but hopefully next autumn we will finally be able to live close to each other. We've been together 2.5 years.

We've been together 2.5 years.

Wow, thats really great! I guess mostly I ask because my friend is now making a choice between me and her boyfriend. Either way she will be in a long-distance relationship (a few hours away).

I'm very much in love with this girl, for the past few months actually and I am beginning to realize how strong of a person you need to be... That is why I ask your opinions, thank you very much... It lets me know what sort of things I may have to cope with...

Thank You

I came out of an LDR after about 4 years. Maybe my situation was different, but I found it to be extremely trying most of the time. It was just more hassle than the relationship was worth. Mostly due to the fact that she was in England and I was in Canada. We kept making plans to meet but something would always come up. Never got to see eachother. Telephone conversations were pointless, she would always skew my words and turn things into my fault.

I will say it's something two people need to work at. It just won't "happen" if you don't try. You'll need a lot of patience. In my case, 4 years was my limit