Is this considered cheating?

Hi. I have been talking to someone on the internet for quite some time, and i really really like him. But because of the distance between us, we haven't been able to see each other. We are making plans though for later this summer.

Well anyhow, my friends here all think that you can't meet someone over the internet. They want to set me up with a guy, and they want me to start dating men here.

I do admit though that I am kind of lonely here... and i can't be on the net all the time. If I do some casual dating would that be considered cheating?

have you made a commitment with your net partner? have you declared anything to one another? if so, than distance is not a factor.

You see, it really doesnt matter if he is one block or 1000 miles away, love is a feeling inside, and yes Internet romance can be and is just as real as person to person.

The internet is just a communications tool thats it, a long time ago, people would fall in love by letters or messengers! sometimes months to get a reply from a person never met!, then came telephone, and then the net. its just a means to find a person and cover more area. after you make contact, it can have all the problems then "regular" dating. the only disadvantage of course is the distance part. dont get me wrong though, i know the importance of physical contact, and if your cyberdating someone and not planning on meeting or eventually being together, than its not gonna work,

Let me put it this way, the net is very useful in finding a good match and partner in your life, Id say better than in person. but the net is very bad at keeping the relationship going, so. , Search, Find, get to know each other, decide, then get together.

It does'nt sound like you have mad a comitment to anyone, so you wouldn't be cheating.

It sounds like you like this guy alot, obviously but do you like him as just a friend?

If the emotions are right, and you know you want to be more stay with him because the other guy will only get hurt when and if he finds out about how you feel bout the net guy. Make sure your emotions are in the right place first, before deciding on anything

Hey there silvanesti,

I agree with Burkarg, if you didn't make any kind of commitment go out and have a good time! Also how old are you? You sound young and I think you should enjoy your youth before doing anything too serious because from what I've seen you'll regret it in the end. Good luck sweetie 8) .

• 2 weeks later...

I have known this girl for quite some time now. We belong to a group online. We came to know one another through emailing and eventually we traded pics. We liked what we saw of one another. She is really a VERY cute girl. Wow.

She is approx. 15 hours away via road trip. I'm separated and she's close to being there, but when she starts working they are divorcing.

We talk nearly every day on the phone or via IM. But lately I've been getting the cold shoulder. Maybe it's because I was pushing the "let's get together soon" idea around too much, today I got the old "let's cross that bridge when we get to it" thing, so I have decided to just back off and let things go. I'll disappear a couple of days to see if she communicates with me. I think my feelings for her are a lot stronger than she feels about me, but then again, she's been busy looking for a job, which I deeply respect and I don't want to interfere with that.

Am I doing the right thing here by simply disappearing, or should I continue to IM her, call her? Maybe I should simply chill out???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

horny? ... nu-huh... me and this guy have been talking for six months now, and averaging four times a week. that's more than most marraiges i know. During all this time, we have talked about sex one or two times... we just aren't that way. And this whole internet dating thing doesen't always have to be about sex.

That's interesting 'cos I never thought of it that way around. It depends what you told your netpartner and what commitments you have made to one another, if that's possible to do with someone you have never seen or touched....

i didn't met him on a dating site... and i am in no way, shape or form on a dating site. he and i met through a friend on icq. we started off as friends, and then our conversations became more frequent, and then i realized that i really did like him. sex we just never talked about... and the one conversation that we did have about the subject didn't even involve the two of us. i think you need to realize that not everybody is like that. you seem like you are a very cynical person. and i wasn't even really talking about physically cheating... i was thinking more along the lines of emotional cheating. but i have made my decision and thanks to those that gave relevent advise.

WHEN A WOMAN JUST WANTS TO BE FRIENDS,,,DO YOU REALLY THINK THE MAN INVOLVED IS GOING TO TAKE THAT LIGHTLY?THERE ISNT A MAN OUT THERE THAT JUST WANTS TO BE (FRIENDS)WITH A WOMAN,THIS EVERYBODY KNOWS AS YOU DO TOO.UNLESS HES GAY,AND NEEDS A GAL PAL TO GO TO THE MALL WITH,HIS MALE EGO WONT ALLOW HIM TO BE JUST FRIENDS WITH YOU.UNLESS YOU STRING HIM ALONG GIVING HIM HOPE THAT HE ONE DAY WILL GET INTO YOUR PANTS...IN WHICH CASE MAKES HIM A BLIND IDIOT.CYNICAL OR NOT,MEN AND WOMEN CANT BE JUST FRIENDS.THERE IS ALWAYS GOING TO BE ONE OF THE PARTY GETTING THEIR FEELINGS HURT,BECAUSE THEY DONT FEEL DESIRED BY THEIR FRIEND....MY DOG IS MY FRIEND,,,AND I DONT HALF TO BY HIM DINNER.