All I had to do was pass a typing test and failed it!

Jetta

I am so disappointed in myself. Normally I do type faster but I wanted this job so badly I let myself get nervous and failed the sticken typing test. It was a part time job for the city that would allow me time to build the insurance business, working full-time and doing insurance is just too much pressure for me right now. So I saw this as a great way to bring in money and gives me more freedom. But you get one shot, I passed both practice tests but didn't pass the one that counts! I can't believe I failed a typing test! Granted they wanted what my typing speed is 65 wpm, the practice I got 70 but the actual was like 52 or something terrible. So the odds weren't good from the start, but this is so disappointing.

Do you normally type on an ergonomic keyboard and they tested you on a regular one? If so you can use that argument when asking to retake the typing test. I've used an ergonomic keyboard for so long and type 75wpm, but when having to switch to an uncomfortable regular keyboard I'm at about 50wpm. Huge difference there. Plus ergonomic keyboards fall under that reasonable accommodation thing that employers follow to avoid getting sued.

Was the "real test" one that "corrected" your speed?

My boyfriend had to have his typing tested for his current job before he got hired. He told me that he was 100-100 wpm uncorrected but when they "correct" for mistakes (which means that there is a small time penalty for each typo that occurs) that his score was lowered to about 90 wpm, which is what he got on his test and his employer told him that the program corrected for his mistakes automatically.

I would really try to retest and try again. In the meantime, work on your anxiety and see if you can practice with some typing programs. I really boosted my speeds that way when I was younger. However, I used to IM a LOT and that has made me really, really fast now.

Was the "real test" one that "corrected" your speed?

My boyfriend had to have his typing tested for his current job before he got hired. He told me that he was 100-100 wpm uncorrected but when they "correct" for mistakes (which means that there is a small time penalty for each typo that occurs) that his score was lowered to about 90 wpm, which is what he got on his test and his employer told him that the program corrected for his mistakes automatically.

I would really try to retest and try again. In the meantime, work on your anxiety and see if you can practice with some typing programs. I really boosted my speeds that way when I was younger. However, I used to IM a LOT and that has made me really, really fast now.

Haha, I'm like the same as your boyfriend. Since I type so rapidly I do tend to make a lot of typos but I can also fix them rapidly too so when I'm actually working it doesn't matter that much. Unfortunately employers at interviews don't seem to care how fast I type.

Aww that sucks blueidealist. He works at some fed company doing reviews of cases and corrections so his job is all about being fast on a computer and getting lots of tedious stuff done.

Oh, ok. People will comment on it if they actually see me at a job or volunteer work but it doesn't seem to help me actually GET a job.

Oooh, Jetta, I'm so sorry. Can you ask for another shot? That is a really lame reason not to get a job... I see that they want to know that you are proficient but it's clear that you are with the practice test... Not to mention you would only become more skilled with the regular typing that this job requires!

I asked to retake the test, they said only one time is allowed, but I am not out of the running because they base it on the test and qualifications not just the test. However there will be a point of taking another typing test. At least by asking I showed interest in the position, that could be what keeps me in the running! Thanks guys and gals!

Thanks Blue. I'm really happy, she e-mailed and told me I met all the qualifications, then sent the text that I failed. I'm sure hearing I was sick eased their mind a little on my typing results. They were poor for me. She also said there will be a 2nd typing test after they do the interviews. So I hope I hear more.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived