Child Support and Alimony

Hi,

I am currently engaged and have a 3 year old son. After 5 years we are going to break up. We both agreed to settle everything outside of court, but I just want to know the legality of child support and alimony. I live in NY and currently support 100% of my family. My fiance doesn't work. If she did take this to court how much alimony would I have to give her? If we have joint custody of my son do I have to pay child support?

NeoTek

If you aren't married, then she is not entitled to spousal maintenance (formerly called alimony). She'll have to support herself.

Child support is a different story. Each state has a specific calculation they use to determine the amount you pay. Yes it is offset by joint custody, however if she has no income then there is nothing to offset the amount you would be paying. A rough rule of thumb is 25% of your net income would go for child support. However check with your states office of child support enforcement to determine the exact percentage that would apply to you.