How to compliment a first date?

paperboy48

Compliments should be genuine. Meaning, they should not be made up or planned in advance. For instance, if you think she looks great, then when you meet her in person, say "You look lovely" or "You look very nice" "You are beautiful in person" or "Wow you look better/exactly like than your pictures"

Then as the date continues, you can add compliments as they come to you, but only if you really mean them. Examples could be "You have such pretty hair" "You smell very nice" "You have a great laugh"

Just to give you an idea, here are some compliments I have gotten on first dates:

"You have very pretty eyes and smile"

"Wow you look just like your pictures"

"Wow you are very tall, it looks good"

"You look good" (as I came back from the bathroom to the table)

"You are cracking me up"

I LOVE it when guys compliment me, esp on a first date, b/c its so hard to read someone's impression of you sometimes.

I always tell guys I like their shirt/shoes/facial hair/etc (unless I dont). If they say I have a great smile/eyes, I usually say "So do you" back, unless I dont think they do which is rare as I ony go out with guys from online that I am attracted to physically

Compliments are great!

Don't do too much in the compliment department. Not everyone is comfortable with that, and if you do too much you will come off as a player. I find it creepy when a guy compliments me on 100 things "you have a pretty smile/that was very valiant of you (on volunteer work), you seem to have just the right touch". The key is to find out more about her. Focus on things she is particularly proud of or relates to her interest.

Yes:

"I had a lot of fun tonight"

"that's a really interesting pin/shoes. That's neat. (or i like that.)"

"I really liked what you posted about your cat. it made me smile."

"You are cracking me up"

"Thats a really funny story"

No:

"You have such a lovely laugh/smile"

"Your hair shines like the back of a raven"

"What a pretty name."

"I really liked what you posted about your cat. it made me smile."

Re: This

I strongly recommend against become FB friends with someone you are just starting to date. Sure its good to see their pics and learn more about them, but it can cause LOTS of problems, stalking, obsessing, hurt feelings, etc

I love it when a guy says I have a pretty smile or whatever. As long as it seems genuine -- I feel like i can tell.

If you're going to compliment her, then do it on anything other than her looks. Complimenting looks is cheap, easy, and expected.

So disagree with this. I'm a female and I love it. As long as it seems genuine. Obviously if someone is not attractive, then you dont say "omg you are so beautiful". But if they have a pretty smile, then say it! But yeah, dont go toooo overboard.

So disagree with this. I'm a female and I love it. As long as it seems genuine. Obviously if someone is not attractive, then you dont say "omg you are so beautiful". But if they have a pretty smile, then say it! But yeah, dont go toooo overboard.

But that's the point. If you want to be like every other dolt, compliment her on the easy stuff. If you want to stand out and have some depth, compliment something non-physical.

Yep - I didn't just spend 2 hours on my hair, makeup and outfit decision so you could compliment me on my friendly aura. Maybe keep a balance. But actually get to know her, don't just be sat there spouting out compliments otherwise, God forbid, she'll think you're not listening to her. And no compliment can save that train wreck

Just make sure you can back up all your compliments with reason, for instance, do NOT EVER call a girl gorgeous or compliment her online when you haven't even seen her pic yet, so many guys do this and it makes the girl distrust anything you say.

You should identify what she spent the most effort on for instance, if you see that her hair is pin straight and obvious that she used a hair straightener then compliment her hair, everyone does SOMETHING to prepare for a date that they normally wouldn't do and it's your job to identify those things and compliment on it.

Compliments are best served as flirts for a first date. I never directly compliment a girl i'm out with for example if she says things like

Her: You're tall

me: Yes, I might be a little too tall for you (smirk)

or me: hey you know...you're pretty cute...for a short girl! (smirk)

if you really feel like directly complimenting...never compliment her looks only her personality

"I know you must have an amazing personality considering how much of the same music we share in common...that's 5 brownie points for you!"

etc

etc

Ok...how do I compliment a first date? ...only know her through online.

Don't compliment her right away, wait until something really meaningful comes to mind. E.g., you're a great sushi-picker, how did you learn about Japanese food...; you have great style, tell me about your...; I love your necklace, where did you get it? Avoid complimenting physical traits, go for the outfit, accessories, etc. Sometimes that leads to a whole new avenue of conversation...

DO NOT COMPLIMENT MORE THAN ONCE!

If you blow your compliment load all over her face, she wont want to see you again, you will look overly enthusiastic, eager - romance killer.

It is fine to say, "you look really pretty," "you have cute dimples," "nice hair." blah blah blah...

Dont say, "i like your boobs," "you have a really nice butt," or "your lips look sexy." all other stuff is fair game though.

Remember though: only once, then you are out - save it for the future dates.

Archived