kind of lied about my education.

kainashi

well, there's this girl i've known for a couple of years and we just started dating several months ago. i've seen her pic, she's seen mine, etc. we talk over mic/webcam all the time and talk on the phone occasionally. we've made plans to meet in a couple of months and there's just one thing bothering me. i told her i graduated from high school. i haven't, i only have my ged. i messed up my first two years and really couldn't catch up in time. so instead of going an extra year or two, people said i'm just better getting my ged. i don't know if it's as big of a deal as i'm making it out to be but i figure it might come up somewhere down the line. should i come out and tell her now or what..?

Don't wait until your walking down the aisle to tell her this! If you tell her ASAP then you could still have a chance, but times ticking. The later you wait to tell her, the worse it will be. Also, I think it would be such a giant relief to have that weight lifted off your shoulders. I can't lie or keep secrets from my boyfriend. I love him too much, and I hate lieing to myself more than anything. I am who I am, nothing more and nothing less. (my new-found moto, I guess)

kainashi can I ask how old you are? The older you are, the less it tends to matter how you got the high school education. The point is, you have the education, regardless of the fact that it is a GED. It's enough to get you into college.

I think you should tell her just so you get it off of your chest. I agree with guy40az, it's shouldn't be a big deal, especially since you never said you graduated from high school. You made a mistake, realized it, and fixed it. If anything else, she should see that you have an ability to recognize and correct your mistakes. (I know sooooo many high school dropouts that never bothered to get their GEDs, and just said school "wasn't their thing...") If she dumps you over that, well, I think it'd show her as pretty shallow.

Just my two cents.

ayekasong, great advice!

I agree that it's not as big of a deal as you might think it is. If you feel that you should correct what you originally said, then do so if it will make you feel better. And yeah, if she acts weird about it or dumps you, then I would say you were better off without her. I can't imagine someone holding it against another person that they have their GED. And like ayesong says, there are so many people that never bother to get it after they drop out of high school.

Traditional school doesn't always work for some people. There can be lots of reasons why.