Tough Time at Internship

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had any advice/words of encouragement.

I started an internship about a month and a half ago, and it's been kind of up and down. I'm in college pursuing a degree in Communication, and I'm an unpaid intern at a local Chamber of Commerce. (I've only completed one prior internship for my AAS degree, at a newspaper, and I enjoyed working there. It was a half hour away, but when I was done, I was done for the day.) At this office, there are only two people: The President and her Admin. Asst. who has been there for a few years.

This internship is a little different. I am doing a little writing here and there, but they are also giving me a good amount of admin. support work, which is sometimes good and sometimes bad. I'm good when it involves answering the occasional phone or doing things on a computer.

Last week I stuffed about 200 envelopes for various mailings. When I came in today, the President showed me how to fold some of the envelopes because she had to go back and redo about 40 of them herself because I folded them wrong. Now she was pretty nice and everything, and I was very apologetic, and I told her I honestly don't send much snail mail, which she laughed and said she understood.

Today I was counting up and gathering bundles of flyers were sending out to all the elementary schools in the area. Each school has a different number of sections for the flyers they receive, I assume by classroom. Right at the end of the day, the President caught that I had miscounted one school. She knew I was headed out so she said not to worry about it since it's not really time-sensitive.

I'm the type of person who feels bad about these mistakes I'm making. I know it's part of being an intern, but I can't help but thinking the two of them probably think I'm the worst one they've had. I have a 3.75 gpa, but I feel like an idiot when I'm there sometimes, and I still have another month and a half to go.

I have about another year until I get my BS, and I work at the internship 18 hrs a week, (9-3 M-W-F) and my paid job the other three days excluding Sunday. I'm also taking classes full time. This internship is not a current college requirement, I just took it to gain more work experience in an office setting.

I think the stress is getting to me a little.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

So you got 160 right and 40 "wrong" or just not the way your boss likes them done, she could have shown you before you did 200 of them which way she wanted them done!

This sounds like excellent experience and they have a free worker so they should be grateful. they do sound nice

Take it on the chin and when you go to a paid job you will have learned a lot.

Good luck with your Degree.

Today the President asked me early on when I wanted my last day to be, so she could figure out when to make the new intern posting. Now I interviewed during a time when the last intern was still there, (but out that day) and it took about two weeks from when I applied May 1st, to get an interview and I didn't start until June 11th, but I thought it was strange of her to ask at this point. But they do get one intern after the other and such. I'm only halfway done with 3 months, and I've decided Sept. 7 will be my last day.

I think this is just a situation where disappointment abounds on both sides. I can tell she's a little annoyed with me. I'm just not good at a lot of the clerical-type stuff, and there's been more than I expected. For the first month or so I'm kind of quiet in things like this, but they seemed to be warming up to me this month at first, but the last couple of weeks everything has gone downhill.

I'll stick it out I guess. It just sucks to be in this situation.

Believe me, you're doing fine.

How do you know?

It's funny, but today was a lot better. I was alone in the office most of the day and got a lot done. She seemed to be in good spirits. The more I think about her asking my last day, the time stamps on both mine and the previous intern basically are the same. They have intern's one on top of the other, so it makes sense that she would ask.

I think maybe these are typical feelings I'm having. I'm just going to stay positive and keep trying.

How do you know?

It's funny, but today was a lot better. I was alone in the office most of the day and got a lot done. She seemed to be in good spirits. The more I think about her asking my last day, the time stamps on both mine and the previous intern basically are the same. They have intern's one on top of the other, so it makes sense that she would ask.

I think maybe these are typical feelings I'm having. I'm just going to stay positive and keep trying.

I say it because I have some long government internship experience and your experience is nothing to worry about.

... I just took it to gain more work experience in an office setting....

You took this job, by your own admission, to gain experience. If you did everything correctly and properly the first time, you wouldn't need the experience now would you?

It's not mistakes that matter, it's the attitude that follows combined with the willingness to correct the error. The recovery tells an employer more about your ability and character than does your ability to do something right all the time the first time.

You sound conscientious to me. Why else would you be so concerned about the job that you would take it to a public forum for advice?

My goodness, I would image many on this board who have hiring responsibility would probably hire you.

Good for you. Hang in there. You're doing great, I'm sure.

Archived