Relocating to Atlanta

Hi guys. Been a while since I've posted on this site as I've been focusing on getting my life on track...and now I'm facing the fact that I'm about to be relocated to Atlanta with my new job.

Alpharetta, to be more precise (a suburb of ATL).

This will be the first time I am moving for a career on my own to a city, let alone the fact that I won't know anyone there or the town in general.

My ticket is booked, hotel and car rental is already taken care of by my company.

I will be leaving with 2 other people for this project which (from what I understand) will last at least 6 months.

My company is advancing me my paycheck early to pay for the move and then they will reimburse me whatever the costs were. I am figuring it will be somewhere around the $1000-$1500 range for items moved and car transportation.

My question is this:

Should I take out a small personal loan in addition to this? Somewhere in the $1000-$2000 range.

I would like to have this buffer mostly as emergency money for unpredictable events ie: I need to fly back to my home for a family emergency, car repairs, costs for new apartment, etc...

I'd rather not get another credit card as I already have one and plan on getting one more for a laptop purchase (to use in the transition between leaving here and not having my PC until my things are moved)...so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Any tips on living in the ATL area?

Thanks, guys!

I used to live up there. I can't really comment on the finances of everything but as far as Atlanta goes, it's a nice big city, always with stuff to do. Traffic is really bad, especially along the 400 on the way to Alpharetta, so always leave plenty of driving time.

Have you ever been to Atlanta before? What part will you be working in?

Thanks for the reply, hers.

I have looked in areas like Roswell as well as Alpharetta for future apartment sites and they look to be pretty much clear of the 400 with regards to where I'll be working. I'll be working at a large telecom up there in Alpharetta.

I have not been there before nor do I know anyone that lives there aside from the 2 other guys that I'm going with and they don't know much about the area either.

I'm going there with an open mind and looking forward to it.

Back on topic though I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing with this loan. I'm almost certain I will try and apply for it but if anyone wants to talk me out of it I'd love to hear some good reasons.

**NOTE**

I'm no financial wiz, but I'm trying to be responsible with my money. In all circumstances I'd rather avoid more debt, but since this is a new transition for me I want to have the peace of mind that if something unexpected happens, I'll be a

• 4 months later...

First off, congratulations on the new job/position. I moved to Atlanta myself right out of college after living in Florida my whole life. Alpharetta, specifically, is a great area to live in. That said, it's a suburb, and like most suburbs it caters heavily toward families. If you are single you may want to check out some other areas. Both AT&T and Verizon have large offices off 400 exit 11 (Windward pkwy). Check out Buckhead. It is exit 2 off the same highway and has a lot of young people. Plus, you'll head opposite the main flow of traffic, going out of town when everyone else is heading toward town, and vice versa. Atlanta prices are about the same as Texas. Keep in mind the income tax though, as it's an additional 6.5% or so out of your paycheck.

Archived