Affected By Occupational Violence - Re-negotiating My Contract

Last year I was working in an acting team leader position at a workplace where occupational violence is very frequent. It was the biggest mistake I have made with regard to employment. I was assaulted by one client at least 4 times - always hits to the head. The last time, I was concussed, went to hospital and had brain scans (normal). I went on workcover for a week, and when I came back, just couldn't feel the same way towards my job. The passion was gone. I will add though that this was also due to disillusionment over the way management handled a LOT of workplace issues.

I could have probably made a reasonable claim against management and gone for a payout. Instead, I opted to temporarily change my employment status to casual. My timing for this has been pathetic. I'm in the processes of renegotiating my employment status but due to changes and financial and administrative difficulties in the organisation, this is currently a bit of a nightmare.

I know that eventually, I will secure for myself a good deal. but in the meantime, I'm having to hang in there and stay positive. I need to maintain some balance with my thinking. Whilst I am now so cynical and disillusioned in some aspects, I was shown immense loyalty by some co-workers, and I know that there are some people in management who have gone out of their way in ways I never expected to assist me in re-negotiating my work contract.

I feel certain that 'TIMING" is what it's all about and I'm trying to stay positive.

Greatly in need and appreciative of encouragement and support right now. Thank you.

Wow, sounds like a tough tough position to be in. Are you negotiating for work at the same violent workplace? Or are you open to other possibilities, other fields, spreading your resume around? Maybe if things aren't falling into place it's a nudge to a new direction? I tend to agree with you, though, when I'm feeling impatient for things to happen I figure it is timing, and that "behind the scenes" (so to speak) events are working themselves out for results better than I imagined, or at least to avoid unnecessary difficulty and distress. The path is being cleared of obstacles we can't see.

Hii JN, and thanks for your reply. No, I will never go back to that facility where the violence occurred. I have chosen to never work with assaultive clients ever again. It simply isn't worth it, and I feel well and truly past it.

I've been getting about working at various facilities with clients who are not violent. I guess I'm scared about going to work for other organisations and looking at other directions. I've thought and planned many times to go work for government. Partly, I'm worried about the health assessments and them finding out about the cancer. Don't think that would go in my favour. Our union has apparently been successful in bringing better wages for us which are being phased in by 5% increments so our pay will be in line with government also. The other thing about working in government is that they tend to have the most violent clients, and I just couldn't face that again. It might sound cowardly, but I guess I'm thinking in terms of "Better the devil you know than the one you don't." At least I can have a much better idea of which facilities are okay to work in and I wouldn't have a clue in government. I don't have the contacts there to find accurate information about various facilities. On the other hand, in the organisation I am with, I know a lot of people - workers and clients. I'm meant to be signing a contract with one facility which gives me some permanent hours and promises of more when they become available. I'm currently doing 3 months of substantial hours there due to somebody taking long-service leave. Right at this point of time, because of instability in the entire sector and in employment in general, people are staying in their jobs, and as extra hours come up, the people who are already in permanent employment status with the organisation are snapping up extra hours (they have preference to them above me). I've had some people saying to hang in there because people do leave - I know of someone meant to be leaving their permanent full-time position in August to go overseas, and I know that facility would give me at least a substantial amount of her hours. I am permitted and being encouraged to work over more than one service which suits me well. The organisation is encouraging it's workers to pick up permanent and casual work with them. Right at the present time, their administration is in a really poor way and they don't seem to have the administrative resources to allocate the work without making a heap of blunders. I've been double-booked and had shifts cancelled (like all of their casual workers), and this has resulted in lost earnings.

The organisation is in quite a bad way at the moment due to the restructures, but there are a lot of people who believe that when all of the changes have come in and settled, that things will be a lot better. They claim these changes have been made due to what they call massive debt. I'm not convinced it's that massive, and when I see some of the decisions they make, I truly wonder about the people involved in the decision-making processes. For example, the client who injured me and so many others must have cost that organisation hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years. He has also caused an unbelievable amount of property damage as has another client at the same facility. I have no idea why they have kept him on as government usually handles clients who have difficulties of such a high level. Instead, they opened another 2 brand new facilities with violent clients and have had a lot of difficulties staffing them.Well, not my job to question, but does make you think.

I'm currently working in a place (with the long-service leave line) and I'm supposed to be getting permanent week-end work with a good pay rate - which is SO much easier. No violent clients, in fact, they are so easy-going in every way and no major difficulties with workers. It definitely requires a lot less energy. The other workers there have told management they are keen for me to be getting more work with them, and one of their previous managers provided a reference for me (without me even knowing about it until afterwards).

One of the really common reasons for people to leave the facilities which are worth working at is that they return to further study, and one of the workers there told me he is, but that won't happen for a while yet. I'm waiting to hear back from another manager who is working at merging shifts to create a new position. That is at a facility I enjoy working at where workers there have done similarly nice things for me.

JN, I truly do think it is in timing and so hope there are things being ironed out behind the scenes as we communicate. Today I am just hanging about in bed typing right now and just taking care of myself as I feel my energy is being so consumed by the worries of work and money. Trying to tell myself to take things a day at a time as I can. I don't even have the energy to think about David right now. Well, my dog and cat are cuddled up with me and soon I'll have a long warm bath and get ready for work. The cold weather has kicked in again and we are having a week of rain - oh yeah, lots of mud and bog on our dirt road and driveway to watch for.

Hope things are well with you JN! xxxx

I know I must sound like I'm ranting, but I am getting to feel so wrecked in myself that yesterday I found some anti-depressant tablets I was taking during the break-up and took them yesterday. Will go back to doc and go back on them for hopefully just a few weeks I've been waking in the middle of the night with anxiety attacks which I'n sure is due to work. Got to make sure I cut down on coffee too. I had been drinking more to be wakeful enough to cope with the odd hours I've had to work. I also had Temazepam tabs left from breakup and took one last night just to be able to sleep through the night which I did, but did wake up in fright when my dog jumped out of bed suddenly this morning. I only want to be taking these meds in the very short-term.

I stopped taking the anti-d's - they have been giving me a dry mouth and headache.

I realised that this week, I worked maximum hours, and whilst I had some work cancelled for next week, I would have been over the permitted hours.

I realised also this morning that underlying my stress is that I know I need to be making long-term financial decisions as well as securing stable employment.

Hi JN,

Just thought I'd post to say that things are looking a little better. It's a bit of a long process due to bureaucracy, but I met with management. I have been offered 49 permanent hours per fortnight as well as continuing with casual work. There is a fair amount of weekend work there which pays a good rate, and I should be eligible for salary packaging. My contract does not commence until the 11th June. Up until then, I have work undertakiing another workers long service leave line so managing okay. I should be much better after the contract starts. My rate of pay will go down, but I will have more benefits and legal rights. The organisation seems to think that a lot of their admin probs will be ironed out by June. Realistically, I would say more likely November-December.

I'm focusing on work and making sure I get the everyday things done, trying to be prepared, rested and energetic enough for work each day.

I woke again very early this morning having some type of anxiety attack. Yesterday was a day off for me. I was so tired with some body aching and had a nice lie in bed for a couple of hours yesterday. I got at least 3 phone calls from work. Two of them were about shifts and one last night when I had a visitor was from a senior manager asking me if I could give an opinion on a fairly new worker.

I'm certain the anxiety attacks are due to the instability and uncertainty about work and pay, but I'm also realising too now that I feel like they just don't leave you alone even on your day off. I can't do a lot about it. I''ve had periods of simply not answering my phone, but this can work out worse for me as I;ll have shifts changed and not get to replace them in time resulting in loss of pay. I'm going to have to do it sometimes though just so I can feel that I have some time right away from it all.

My new contract is supposed to start on 11th June. I haven't received the formal contract in the mail yet.

I wish I knew what to do about the anxiety attacks. I would feel so much more energetic and well rested if I could stop having them.

Archived