Support and advice, please.

diariescs

My grandmother died a few hours ago. Somehow, my ex got wind of it and he sent me this message on Facebook:

I m sorry that your great grand mother passed , i will pray for her and your family.

I know it's generic, and I know it doesn't mean a damn thing. But it's only been a week since BU, and 4 days NC, and that message hit me square in the chest. It hurts so bad. I do want him back. It's like an inescapable need, even though, logically, I know it isn't.

At first, I called a friend and broke down again. But just as quickly, the panic subsided and so did the tears. I am glad that I did not respond back immediately. I do want to get back together with him and do not want to do anything that could jeopardize that, which is why I wanted to respond to begin with, even if it's just with a thank you. I immediately realized, however, that I can send him a thank you message later on, with an apology about not responding sooner. Right now, I need to remain NC. For both our sakes (because I need to heal and I need to give him time to really feel my absence, as I am feeling his). I know that NC is not for them - it's for us - but I can't help but hold on to that sliver of possibility that I'm killing two birds with one stone here.

Please advice on if I'm doing the right thing by not responding. Would also appreciate thoughts on the right way to conduct myself, right things to say, etcetera. I know most here would push for me to forget him and focus on myself. I am doing that. But I do know that I want him back. It's a tall order, because I want him to be the one to come back to me. To initiate. To do everything in his power to get me back. Not the other way around. So yeah, it's a very tall order, and I'm not optimistic or even really hoping. It's just something I've come to accept. I acknowledge that I do want him back, but I also accept that it's over. I want him back on my terms only; therefore, I have to move on with my life.

So on this note, am I doing the right thing by not responding? Should I even say anything? Is there a "window of opportunity"?

Also, there's still the issue of my things. He said he was bringing them over on Thursday, and he hasn't yet, but I don't really want to ask him for them again. I feel too fragile to break NC, even for something so business-like.

Archived