Ouch - a missing tooth and dating... :(

CrazyKing

Haven't been here for a while.

Several very important things have happened to me the last few months - found a girl, found a job, moved to another town.

I don't feel that sad about being forced to leave the girl I was dating, I don't even have any will to get back to where I came from, because I really love the town where I am living and finally I have a job that's perfect for me.

What I'm worried about the most is that a month ago I got beaten up by some lunatics for no reason - one of my front teeth had to be extracted, my nose was broken - now I'm all fine, but I hate the fact that I have to wait about 4 months until I get a dental implant. I feel fine about who I am, I've never ever felt so good in my life, but, now seriously, a missing front tooth is a huge turnoff when it comes to meeting girls, don't you think?

Right now I don't have the time to actually meet somebody I could potentially start dating because I work all the time, but when I happen to be close to some girl that I find attractive during lunch - I'm unable to start talking to her because the first impression is of much importance and I don't want to start already with the phrase - "Hey there, I lost my front tooth because I got beaten up" in order for her not to turn her back already after she sees that empty spot.

On the other hand I think that it's all about being myself and a girl that would turn her back just because I have a missing tooth ain't worth a penny, is she?

On the other hand I think that it's all about being myself and a girl that would turn her back just because I have a missing tooth ain't worth a penny, is she?

I wouldn't say "ain't worth a penny". For some people this would just lead to a lack of physical attraction, which is a dealbreaker for many.

I mean, think about it in reverse. What if you saw an attractive woman and then she opened her mouth and had a few missing teeth? What's your first reaction going to be? Like it or not, this is one of those things people can be and often are superficial about.

I think if a guy lost one due to illness or a car accident i would look past it but no one randomly gets "beat up by lunatics". Was this a bar fight or were you innocently walking down the street and were a victim of a crime? If it were the latter, i'd be understanding. If it were the first, I wouldn't want to date a guy who got himself into such things.

I know it makes you feel socially awkward. I got one of my bottom front teeth extracted this past Monday.( it was damaged in a childhood accident and reached the end of it's life span). It can make one feel embarressed for sure. This however is a temporary situation. It is being replaced. I would think she would be far more worried that you are ok after being beaten up by thugs than if you have a missing tooth or not. I feel for you in that whole situation. The same thing happened to my brother when he was 15. He was jumped by 5 guys and he needed plastic surgery to fix his nose and he had 6 of his teeth needed crowns.He had to wait to make sure his teeth settled back into his gums before they could fix them.

I think if a guy lost one due to illness or a car accident i would look past it but no one randomly gets "beat up by lunatics". Was this a bar fight or were you innocently walking down the street and were a victim of a crime? If it were the latter, i'd be understanding. If it were the first, I wouldn't want to date a guy who got himself into such things.

This DOES happen. My brother was 15 and got off a bus on New Year's Eve and 5 guys beat him up for thrills..there are SICK people out there.

Can you not get a temporary tooth from your Dentist? - When I had a root canal on one of my eye teeth, the dentist put in a temporary tooth that same day. It took about 2 weeks for the porcelain one to arrive. The temporary one wasn't as good of quality but no one seemed to notice, and I just felt better. It was more about my own comfort.

If you are fine and comfortable without having a tooth there until you get the permanent one from your dentist, then so be it. - I wouldn't worry too much about dating. If anything, it'll help weed out the superficial people. It's just a temporary situation. If you are confident and comfortable, that's really what counts.

Archived