Typical Over-thinking Madness

Bryyo003

After a tortuous 4 years of pain, depression and generally running myself into the ground feeling alone and trying to make everyone else around me happy, i have finally met the girl who i can genuinely see myself spending my eternity with. However.

Depsite beating depression (for now) and coming out of the darkness, i still can't stop over-thinking and over-analysing all the little things. I feel aching and pain over things i really shouldn't, things that wouldn't (and shouldn't) bother normal people.

For example.

I feel angry, upset and generally being unfair when it comes to my girlfriends previous boyfriends (mainly the sex side of things, despite the constant reassurance from her about me being the best she has had, slightly deviating but just a little more background info).

I know. I already know! People always say 'oh but it is natural to be uncomfrotable when it comes to her exs'. But this is different. I get really, REALLY upset when i think about it. I just want to know how i can just shrug these feelings off and forget it all and just enjoy what we have for what it is.

This is the only person in my life who has made me genuinely happy. I love her with everything i have, every part of my being. So why can't i just forget the little things and accept that i am the one she wants to be with?

If anyone has come up with a way to stop or comfortably live with over-thinking things then please, i am dying for a solution to this, i can't take this frustration anymore. Thank you.

there are a number of things you can do

it sounds like you're concerned about your thoughts because they are negative and intrusive. So you can work on this from both ends--If the thought is bothering you because it's negative, then try to recognize you're not being fully rational and replace that thought with a better one. Over time, you'll start to be less negative and you'll start to really recognize the flaws in your pervious way of thinking. If the frequency of the thoughts are also bothering you--this is a bit harder to deal with but you can stop some of them. It takes a lot of willpower. However, if you take the first step of changing your negative thought patterns into a more logical or rational one, I think it will alleviate your distress and help with the obsessive nature of them anyway.

I keep a journal--it helps a lot. I write down all the annoying thoughts that are plaguing me and they really go away--my mind is pretty overactive anyway--but it really helps. So write them down! it'll help you move on to new thoughts instead of getting stuck on the old ones again and again.

Archived