Whew, this is so tough. After my ex left me, a found myself very lonely. Even after I realized that she was not the one for me. I work in an environment where I am not allowed to be friends with my peers, since I am enlisted and the rest of my peers are officers in the military. Also in my work environment, most of the day the only face I will see are those on the television.

I then go home, and take a shower, and get ready to do something constructive in the evening. My roommates always ask me what am I doing, but are always seeming standoffish towards me. These people work in my squadron but are always on different shifts than I am so I rarely ever see them anyway.

I have gone out and tried to meet new people around the area, but it seems that many people are so superficial that they only contact you when it suits them. One particular person I had taken a friendly interest in. I even invited him out to a few of my Dj gigs and even let him spin a few hours of my set to get him exposure. After those few times, I called him and left a few messages inviting him and his friends out, but to no avail, neither him nor his friends would call me back.

It is reassuring that I know that I have a few great best friends spread out accross the states, but I wish that I could find a click again that can even spark my interests. After speaking with my departed friends, they reassure me that there is nothing wrong with me at all. It's just the people in your local area. I have never had a problem meeting people in the past. But now all of the sudden, I find myself just ending up jogging about 10 miles every night to pass the time, read a few chapters of a certification book and it is off to bed.

It's as if I do not get excited about anything anymore. I know there's a lto to do in the DC area… I just wish I could find a group of friends to enjoy it with. One thing is for sure though. At least I'm not sulking in my room non stop about it. That would just make things worse.

• 2 weeks later...

If I were you I would spend this time enjoying yourself. There are so many things in life that you can just soak in and enjoy.

I understand how you feel about losing the excitement you once had. This is only temporary, it will come back.

Don't fret over the whole romance thing. You don't have to have a woman to be complete. Besides, one day you will meet someone, just have patience.

Get more involved with the friends you have. Go to singles groups, get out and meet people when you have the chance. It's not that hard to make new friends. Just give them a smile, and be yourself and anyone will be happy to be your friend, and possibly girlfriend in due time.

One of my favorite sayings... "To love ones self is the beginning of a life long romance."

Keep up hope and stay active! Life will get better, it always does.