I am going NC...but ex is contacting me regarding money

tru8lue

My GF of 2.5 years broke up with me this past Saturday. She broke up with me with no warning and weak reasons. I am really hurt and furious. For background info, take a look at my post:

Anyway, two months ago, we booked an expensive vacation that we were going to go on this coming December.

One month ago, I purchased her an early iPhone birthday present (her birthday is in July) because her phone is acting up

2 weeks ago, we booked non-refundable plane tickets for a 4th of July getaway.

Total: $3000 + $210 + $220 = $3,430

Her excuse for breaking up with me: "I checked out of the relationship a long time ago due to being emotionally scarred from our other breakups".

Fact: we have not fought or argued in MONTHS (> 6)

I am going to lose at least half of this money (travel insurance can get me 50% back, but then ex is requesting 50% of that). Why would she initiate plans to take trips with me and accept an iPhone when she "checked out of the relationship" A LONG time ago?

This is horrible. I feel used. I don't want to have to give her ANY money as she made me spend money knowing that she didn't feel like being with me anymore. Why should i have to lose my hard earned money over her immature decisions?? This is disgusting.

Do I have any legal protections? This would be like a putting salt on an open wound. I am also trying to stay NC, and she threatened to take me to small claims court.

HELP!

We both split the vacation for December. I will be losing 60% of what i paid for my half, so about $800

I paid 100% of the iPhone (which i'll probably get back if the stop payment on the check goes through, i had post dated check to her, she put on her CC because she needed it immediately)

We split the plane tix for the 4th. I would be losing $400 because she hasn't paid me for her half yet.

I am a lawyer but I am going to give you some legal advice for free

Its legally impossible for you to get the iPhone back, its a gift so that's sunk cost.

If you paid for the whole trip (i.e. its on your credit card) then you are not obligated to give her 50% of the refund, but if she has proof that she paid for a portion of the trip then you are legally obligated to give her the equivalent portion of the refund (If she paid for 30% of the trip and has proof for it, she can ask and will be granted 30% of the refund).

Ok did not see the new update before I posted it, you can definite cancel the check and get your money back on iPhone.

She is not eligible for the refund for the 4th since she did not pay. And she is eligible to get her half of the December money back

I am a lawyer but I am going to give you some legal advice for free

Its legally impossible for you to get the iPhone back, its a gift so that's sunk cost.

If you paid for the whole trip (i.e. its on your credit card) then you are not obligated to give her 50% of the refund, but if she has proof that she paid for a portion of the trip then you are legally obligated to give her the equivalent portion of the refund (If she paid for 30% of the trip and has proof for it, she can ask and will be granted 30% of the refund).

cmswifty, i paid for the entire trip on MY CC. She wrote me a check for her half. If that's proof, then i'll wait until she figures out that technicality out I really don't feel like giving her anything unless the legal system forces me to....she screwed me over

cmswifty, i paid for the entire trip on MY CC. She wrote me a check for her half. If that's proof, then i'll wait until she figures that out I really don't feel like giving her anything unless the legal system forces me to....she screwed me over

Fair enough, but that check is most likely to be counted as the aforementioned proof. Just be prepared that she can go to small claims court and likely to win this battle.

The bright side is you do not have to do a thing before the judge decides

Thanks cmswifty, i'd rather have her go through the HASSLE of opening up a case and all that as PUNISHMENT for what she did to me, maybe even deter her from doing altogether (I really can't see her doing it, i don't even think she knows how, if you read my other link you will know what I mean)...if the judge says to give to her then that's fine but she should not have it easy.

Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Ok did not see the new update before I posted it, you can definite cancel the check and get your money back on iPhone.

She is not eligible for the refund for the 4th since she did not pay. And she is eligible to get her half of the December money back

I have no evidence for the 4th of July plane tix, ughhhh. It might be in my best interest to pay her half of the December trip minus the $200 since that is what she's asking for. If i do go to small claims court, i can potentially pay her back 50% of December trip and I will lose 100% of 4th of July plane tix totalling $800?

This is a nightmare.

I'm trying to stay NC, maybe i'll wait and see if she takes me to small claims court then pay her? I have an email from her specifically mentioning to deduct the plane tix from the December trip refund

I found that the 4th plane tix can be used for future travel.

I also found that the December plane tix can be used for future travel.

The hotel portion of the December trip was fully refundable, minus $25 fee

Based on new revelation, it looks like i don't have to give her ANY money is this correct? Just let her know that she can use the plane tix.

But i paid for the entire 4th of July tix, and she hasn't given her my half yet. I don 't have evidence as this was a verbal agreement. Is verbal enough? How do I ensure that I get paid for her half of 4th of July tix?

Archived