I'm torn between drawing a complete line under the relationship with my ex, or staying friends in the hope that we will get back together.

It is such a tough decision.

The thing is, I know there is a chance that we could get back together. I'm not just holding blind hope here. Various things have given me this impression:

-Just a couple of months ago she said she'd found the person she wanted to spend the rest of her life with.

-She still wants me in her life as I am her "best friend."

-She sent me a text message days after the break up saying "There is still hope for us...I can't guarantee anything but I've been thinking about you."

-I told her jokingly that if we went on a night out and got drunk we'd end up kissing and we'd regret it - she said "who says we'd regret it?"

-She says I will ALWAYS be the most important person in her life.

...I know all of these things could also be interpreted as the usual danger signs like 'leading me on by a string,' 'her keeping one foot in the door,' 'having her cake and eating it,' and so on. That is why I am really confused.

It has been 18 days since I calmly explained that I couldn't be her "best friend" right now as I need to come to terms with what has happened. I told her I would send her a text message or something when I felt a little more ready. Ready for what though? I haave made progress in the 18 days, and while I still cry sometimes and I feel sad, it is better than speaking to her everyday and listening to what she is doing.

My problem is I don't know what to do next.

If I draw a line under the relationship it might help me heal and move on quicker, although it will be painful in the short term. However, I may regret not trying to stay in touch in case we end up giving it another go. I really think that she is 'the one' so I desperately want her to change her mind.

If I follow myjoy's strategy outlined in another thread, then that obviously involves staying friends with her, building up the positive moments with her etc. I believe this could work, but am I prepared to risk being hurt in the long run if she decides to be with someone else?

It is such a complex situation - and all these thoughts about the 'next step' are driving me mad!

Does anyone have any advice on my situation?

Thanks a lot,

Rich

Of course you don't really want anyone else.

We've all been there. We want the person who broke up with us or we at least did want that person.

BUT - what are you going to do? Wait around forever? Man, look, she broke up with you. What are you supposed to do? You're not supposed to be waiting for her.

I dont know about you but for me 18 days wasn't enough time to get over my ex. I still haven't spoken with her about 11 months. I miss her, think about her, etc... Do I want to be with her? Good question. Couldn't answer that.

Go work on yourself, some hobbies, etc.....Don't you all play cricket or something in England??

Maverick