Awkwardly ran into Ex GF today...

Today is Day 17 of NC for me, and I was working at my part time job today at a department store. I was running some items up front in the afternoon, and turned a corner and saw them without any time to react. She was with two of her friends from college that I don't really know. I saw one of her friends first and said hello, then right when I was about to pass them I noticed that my ex was the third girl. She was pretty much just looking ahead, as if I wouldn't see her if we didn't make eye contact. I ended up casually tapping her on the shoulder as I went by and didn't look back. When I got back to my department, they were there also and remained there for about a half hour. They just wandered around the aisles. I think they were looking for presents for someone. It was my area to cover, so I had to stay there, and she knows that. I did my best to just go about my business and did well at that. I tried to decide if I should be the bigger person and go break the ice, but I just remembered my NC and decided to only talk to her if she approaches me. Honestly I probably would have if she would've been with different friends, since the two she was with were two who played a big part in her decision to break up with me. Eventually they left and she never did talk to me.

When I started NC, I told her I can't talk to her while she's dating another guy, as many of us have. The problem is it was kind of left up in the air on her end. I fully intended to go NC, but didn't communicate it well. I don't know how she's been taking it, but clearly it has become awkward between the two of us, which is not what I wanted to happen. Now before some of you say it doesn't matter what she thinks, NC is for you only, hear this: At the end of the month, we and about a dozen others will be going to Vegas for a week for our friends' wedding. Obviously we'll see each other a lot then, and I definitely don't want it to be awkward like it was today. I've intended this whole time to contact her the week before we leave for two reasons; one, she made our reservations and has my plane ticket, and two just to reconnect a little bit before we go on this trip. I didn't think we'd become this distant in just over two weeks, so now I think I need to make a move earlier.

Two Questions

How did I handle the situation at work, and what do you make of her behavior/being there in the first place?

Second question: I think I need to clarify why I'm not talking to her, and I think I should use the letter strategy. I would write her a letter telling her that I am not mad at her, but am simply not talking to her because I need to take this time to heal. Since we are not getting back together right now, and since we will be spending time together in groups throughout the summer, I need to take this time to do that. Is this a good idea so that the next few weeks of NC don't end up straining our relationship further, or should I just wait until I make that first contact in a few weeks to tell her? We were together 4 years, living together and everything. The reason we broke up in a nutshell: We got too complacent in our relationship and she got freaked out. We dated the entire time through college, and now she feels like she missed out on the single college life.

Honestly, I had been making great progress during my NC so far, so it really sucks that this happened. What do you guys think?

Archived